Tuesday, July 08, 2008

That which does not kill you...

Well, this past holiday weekend was anything but. Some heavy personal stuff went down on Thursday - you know, the kind that sort of sucks away your desire to do anything that requires brain activity...or excessive movement for that matter? So there was essentially a 3-day void of any and all things fiber-related.

But I did manage to get a lot of reading done! Polished off a book a day - Baby Proof by Emily Giffin (solid chick lit), Burning Time by Leslie Glass (so-so thriller), and Next by Michael Crichton (disappointing bore). Also watched more of that Twilight Zone marathon than I normally would have. (Have you seen the Miniature episode? Fascinatingly creepy! I had no idea that was Robert Duvall until afterwards.)


By Sunday evening, though, I was all read/watched out and ready to take on something new. Cristi invited me to chain on the Boteh Scarf with her last week, and suddenly, it was all I could think about. So I dug out my Inared STR overdye and got to hookin'.

Did you know crochet goes a helluva lot faster than knitting? It's already done! (Still not quick enough to beat Miss Speedy Needles, though. She finished hers earlier the same day.) I'll have the FO post up soon, but here's a little sneaky peeky:
Boteh (sneak)

Thankfully, the week started out on a more positive note, and that Boteh up there kicked my mojo back in full swing. :) So how 'bout a little WIP roundup? I started these Diamondy Socks last week (on the needles, the textured yarn makes it kinda hard to see, but they're super cute on):
Diamondy (wip)

And there's some sunny Rowan 4-ply already swatched and on deck for Shetland Shorty:
Rowan 4-ply Cotton

Once I stop waking up screaming in the night from bleedy yarn nightmares, the Indigo Ripples Skirt may come out of hibernation, too.

I also wound that gorgeous Mama Llama Laceweight for Seascape, which may get cast on this weekend. (Dude, winding 1250 yards of laceweight by hand takes foooorever. Nice arm workout, though. Which is good, since that's apparently all my lazy ass gets these days.) The skein was too big for my swift, so I draped it around two dining room chairs. First I thought, "Hey, I can walk around the chairs while winding!" Turns out, that makes you kinda dizzy. Then I thought, "Hey, why don't I stand between the two chairs?" Seems that actually decompresses the spin diameter and makes you dizzier. After a few other dumbass god-I-hope-no-one-was-watching-me experiments, I discovered standing on one chair was the way to go.

My brilliance is blinding, isn't it? Apparently, when I stop knitting for a few days, I become an idiot. So save your brain cells. Knit a sweater. That's my new slogan.

11 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

I cannot imagine winding laceweight by hand. You're a trooper. I recently wound 3200 yds of cobweb weight with my swift and ball winder and it took 2 HOURS.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I like balls of yarn (not mechanically winded yarn cakes) myself too..so I undestand winding by hand.
Woo hoo for Shetland Shorty! I'm swatching tonite.

5:11 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I hope your bad shit turned to good shit. That sneaky peek of the scarf shore is tantalizing. Tease!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Haha...ok, glad you aren't dizzy anymore! I likey the sneaky peeky too! Socks are looking good. Interesting color for your SS, but I'm quite sure it'll be fab on you! :)

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Rowan - it will be so nice knit up. I have a skein of laceweight that is 1750 yards and I'm dreading balling it up. Hope things are better!

4:18 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wooo Boteh looks beautiful from the sneak peak! Glad you got your mojo back!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have a 1,400-yard (or something like it) skein of laceweight in my stash. I know what project it's for, but I'm dreading winding it, so it might never get knit.

4:23 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow you wound that much yarn by hand? that's insane. i think the longest hank i've wound was a skein of helen's lace. i wound it with my ballwinder and my arms were really tired by the end. i can't even imagine the destruction my cats would've wreaked had i tried to do it by hand. :-)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Sorry for the heavy personal stuff... hope that it all goes better soon.

I think you should have videotaped your winding experiments and put them on youtube. you'd be an internet superstar!

10:34 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh my gosh! that yellow is just stunning, what a beautiful color!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yes, crocheting goes a lot faster than knitting. It also uses up way more yarn, but that's OK.

Great color you picked for those socks, and I can't wait to see the finished Boteh scarf!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home