Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kool Aid Play

We're having some work done on the house right now, so the past week has totally thrown off my equilibrium (house in disarray, crammed into the back, plastic sheeting everywhere, disorganization, ahhhhh!). But things have calmed down a bit and I finally got a chance to snap some pics of my Kool Aid extravaganza! Let's see how it turned out, shall we?

Hill Country Yarns Instant Gratification
Before: Hot Fuschia
HCIG Hot Fuschia
Bright, goood. Blinding, baaad.

After: Radioactive Love Hussy
HCY Overdye
I did a pour overdye with some Cherry Kool-Aid and
squealed when this came out of the pot! It's now a deep, dark, gorgeous pink with little bits of the original peeking through here and there. This was my first dye job (er, on yarn, anyway), and I LOVE how it turned out! (Don't love the damn knot I found while reskeining it, though. Grrrrr.) Big thanks to chemgrrl, who gave me some tips via email! It was through those emails that the name came about. Catchy, ain't it. ;)

Artyarns Supermerino
Before: #102
RAK from lindydiva!
I love yellow, but for some reason, this colorway reminded me of CornNuts. And I hate CornNuts
(I think it's the smell). A re-do was in order.

After: Swinging Turtle Face
Artyarns Overdye
Did a deep soak in Berry Blue and out came this wicked awesome tonal green with red accents! After this post by turtlegirl, I simply *had* to call it Swinging Turtle Face.

STR Lightweight
Before: Alina
STR Lightweight
I know, I know, it's sacrilege to overdye STR. But this colorway was a little too girly to be manly and a little too manly to be girly. It needed some direction to head into a wip.

After: Gogh Home
STR Overdye
A dunk in some Berry Blue was all it needed to become this fantastic combo of blues, greens, aquas, and browns! I immediately thought of Van Gogh. Looks like the kind of palette he would use to decorate his home, dontcha think? Now that it's all boy'd up, it may become something for my older bro for Christmas.

Malabrigo-ish Laceweight (no ball band)
Before: Shades of lavender
Unknown Lace
I got this as a swap extra, and thought I'd overdye it into a deep blue. You know, just for fun.

After: Crap
(Uhhh, you don't wanna see. Trust me.)
Turns out I shouldn't overdye unless it's superwash. I kept an eye on the heat, tried not to manhandle it too much, but of course, still turned it into a big felted mess. *sigh* Oh well. Single-ply, non-superwash merino laceweight is probably too delicate for my rambunctious ways anyway. :P

(Sadly, the same fate befell the unlabeled green sock yarn I got from Batty last year during our knitty SP8 round. The dye bled onto my hands when I tried to knit with it, so I heat-set it on the stovetop and yeah, found out pretty quick it wasn't superwash. I'm sorry, Batty!)

STR Heavyweight
Before: Boysenberry
STR
Well, I couldn't let that last debacle mark the end of this dye run, now could I? So, I dove into the stash and committed complete heresy by overdyeing yet another skein of STR. (Someone go revive Irishgirlieknits, I'm pretty sure she's fainted by now.)

After: Inared
STR Mediumweight Overdye
I LOVE this! A little Cherry Kool-Aid transformed those magentas into beautiful, rich, vibrant shades of red. Reminds me of the colors Inara wore on Firefly (both her clothes and her lipsticks)!

Okay, now I'm out of stuff to dye. And no, chemgrrl, I haven't tinged my husband pink. He's more of a Berry Blue...

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely yarn! That's so funny, because I'm clicking through on my feed reader as I'm sitting here waiting for my Kool Aid experiment to steep..! neat coincidence, & yours looks like it was a fun dye day.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

hehe, fabulous dye jobs!! Sorry about your felted mess though!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

You did such a great job! I'm really jealous of those reds you ended up with! Personally I hate STR but I was a bit surprised that anyone would dye the "genius" that is BMFA - however, I love your versions much better.

5:11 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Pardon me whilst i pick my jaw up off the floor. I never would have considered STR a candidate for overdyeing but damn girl! You made it even prettier! And yeah, Swinging Turtle Face is totally appropriate for that stuff. gorgeous!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Wow! The came out so pretty! I have the itch to start dying yarn, but overdying scares me. You're kinda giving me the nerve to try it.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn! Love the Van Gogh STR. My knitting group is having a dyeing party in a couple of weeks - I hadn't thought of overdyeing but I think I'm going to try it!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Great results!! You've got some huevos lady!

But I still say Swinging Turtle Face sounds like a sex position.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous results! You are clearly a natural at this stuff. Once you officially become an indie dyer, lemme know, k? 'Cause I'm gonna want to buy a lot of yarn from you. Oh, and roving, too, if you can dye it.

6:00 AM  
Blogger LizzieK8 said...

Really pretty stuff! I had the same issue with Instant Gratification. One of the three skeins was good. One had knots and the other broke four times while being wound in a ball. Something got on the yarn or something....
http://www.tiny9.com/u/6426

7:53 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Wow, talk about before/after pictures with awesome results! I had no idea you could get colors that vivid with KoolAid, even when you start out with pre-dyed yarn.

7:58 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Holy crapola! *Everything* came out gorgeous! I especially love the Radioactive Love Hussy--glad the pour dye thing worked out so well. You'll have to do it again and again and again. That reminds me--can you put me on the list for your upcoming sock club, please? I know it's going to be really popular, so I want to be first in line. :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Comments made in order while reading..

Wow! That's gorgeous! Love the names! Love Hussy...Swinging Turtle..hehee. What? STR?? (why?) Wow that came out really pretty though! That's awesome! (read a bit more) OMG! She did it AGAIN! To my precious boysenberry no less...okay, it still looks pretty!

I did stop breathing for a second when I saw you overdyed TWO skeins, but still you are a genius with the gorgeous redos!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

OH.MY.OH.MY!!! Amazing--you really have a knack for it now, don't you!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Great colors on your overdyed yarns. I tried koolaid dyeing for the first time this weekend-it's certainly addicting!

6:42 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

You are so brave! wow I love the new colors, especially the green, but the reds and blues too! go you!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

You are very brave! I have no issue dying the crap out of anything white or gray or whatever... but to dye a handdyed? Crazy genius. Especially with the turtle colorway - that turned out awesome.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home