Friday, June 27, 2008

Strikeout

Strike 1 - Indigo Ripples Skirt
Tried it on last night, and... wait for it... it's too big. By 20 freakin' stitches. 20! *sigh* So much for my meticulous calculations. At least this time, I caught it before it was done! (Might've been nice to catch it before it was 40% done, but whatever.) It's now frogged and waiting to be cast on again. Which I will. Once I stop giving it dirty looks for betraying me.

Strike 2 - Jaywalkers
Turns out that last skein of Greenwood Fiberworks in my stash is not a good match for Jaywalkers. Here I thought I was being all clever and stuff, making them out of stretchy yarn. You'd think I'd have learned by now that stretchy textured yarn doesn't show squat. Much as I like that Mata Hari, I'm gonna to have to disavow having three pairs in the same yarn and the same pattern. So these will have to remain in a time out while I ponder what to do with them. (Sidebar: I also got the yarn from grumperina, and thought it would be even *more* clever to knit her pattern with it. All clevered up and nowhere to go. So sad.)

Strike 3 - Tess Superwash Merino in Black
I've been wanting to try this yarn for ages, and was able to procure some from a fellow Raveler. It arrived to me in a cake, so I decided to re-skein it. (I personally prefer balls over cakes (heeheeheeheehee *dirty mind*), and like to re-wind caked yarns from destashes/swaps anyway to check for knots and such.)

Well, it stained my hands. It stained my swift. It stained the sink I rinsed and washed it in. It stained the bowl I soaked it overnight in.
Tess Dyebleed Bowl
Brusha brusha brusha, this yarn does a bleeda...


And I don't mean it stained all these in a quick-soapy-rinse-and-you're-good-as-new kind of way. I mean it stained them in a get-your-scrubby-brush-and-put-your-back-into-it kind of way. (Although, as a side benefit, my hands are nice and exfoliated now.)

I put the yarn in my dyeing pot with several generous glugs of vinegar to heat set it, and used a plastic fork to gently stir it up a bit. This is the fork after about two seconds (literally).
Tess Dyebleed Fork
Stuck a fork in it, but it ain't done bleedin'.

I put the fork on the counter, and it stained the counter! I'd heard this particular yarn tends to bleed, I even understand that multiple rinses can still leave behind some residual dye, but dayum! Even the Denim doesn't stain on this level! Let's hope heat setting does the trick. Otherwise, I'll be knitting this into an artpiece instead of that shawl I'd planned. And wearing gloves while I do it. (Hope the skein of yellow I also got doesn't need this much pre-knitting prep, too!)


This is uh, not a great start to the weekend. I need pull a comeback of Red Sox proportions to stay in the game!

ETA: Sorry, didn't mean to mislead! The stains did end up coming out of everything (well, except the fork, which I tossed), but they required some serious scrubbing!

11 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Holy crap! I know you got it in a destash but still, I'd let Tess Designer Yarns know about it! That's a lot of damage done!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That bites! Hope the rest of your weekend is much better!

10:31 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

UGH! That sucks. And the yarn, oh no, because I have some black Tess Designer Yarn (the merino silk) marinating in my stash. Uh-oh.

Well, hopefully you will have another at bat before the weekend is over :)

12:35 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Key-rap! I know blacks are hard to dye, but that's just getting silly. Another vote here for tell-the-designer.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Jeeze, now I'm wondering about that Tess's I gave away in May for KAYE. I hope that's not a bleeder!

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks! I hope that it sets and stops bleeding. Sorry about your other project woes - hopefully you will find the perfect project for all that yarn!

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of bleedin' black yarn! Look at it as if you already got your work-out in for the week. Scrubbing makes for great arms.

Good luck with the skirt and Jaywalkers. They'll fall into place.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Zoinks, that's some serious bleeding! I'd definitely let Tess Yarns know about that. Sounds like they forgot a step in the dyeing process or something. (And hmm, I wonder if your bleeding yarn is related to my Jitterbug. That stuff is still bleeding every time I wash it.)

9:17 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow! what the heck! That is not good! I'm glad it came out of everything!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Well you may not have had a great start to the weekend but how about a great ending - YOU WON MY CONTEST!!! So you get to pick any of the first five colorways - Pittsburgh, Tampa, Copenhagen, Paris Night, or Paris Day. I just need your choice of colorway and your address!

8:26 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Oh wow. My favorite black pants are fading--maybe I should but a skein of Tess yarn in the wash next time!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home