Thursday, July 03, 2008

Running dye and randomness

Well, it took about 9 or 10 washes (can't remember exactly, I kinda lost count after wash 5) to get the yarn to stop staining everything. Some of the dye was still running off in the rinse, but it finally stopped turning my hands black!

This is how it looked during wash 6. Or was it wash 7? Whatever, here it is with the yarn in the water:
Tess Dyerun Wash 7a

And with the yarn out of the water:
Tess Dyerun Wash 7b
Dude, that is PITCH black.
(Apologies for the Elizabeth Taylor soft-focus effect - it's hard to photog when you have dripping wet yarn bleeding dye all over you in one hand and a camera in the other!) I was waffling between utter fascination that any yarn would take this much work before knitting with it, and sheer frustration that any yarn would take this much work before knitting with it. It's dry and waiting to be re-skeined, but I'm procrastinating that part, as I fear it the winding will reveal continued bleeding. So for now, on the hanger it shall remain.

Needless to say, that experience deflated me a bit, so this week hasn't been too productive WIP-wise. But I should have a FO post up after the holiday weekend. Hubster's parents are out of town, so naturally, we're having a party at their house. ('Cause, you know, they have a pool.) Should be a nice change of scenery for the second Ms. Marigold photo shoot!

Lastly, on a completely unrelated tangent, how about some greenery? I, sadly, do not have Bezzie's gift of gardening. There are to date, two houseplants that have managed to survive the Curse of the Blackthumbed weez. But, I just re-potted them, so that should take care of that.
Plant Doom
Pray for them.

12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I can't believe that water! I've never seen anything like that. You're a trooper for hanging in there with it!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Val S. said...

You are my hero. Long ago I would have pitched it into the trash! I bow to you, woman of patience and virtue.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

So do we get to burn said yarn manufacturer at the stake like cyberspace did with MCY for making bleedy yarn? ;-)

What's that thing in the far fuzzy out of focus pot? All I do w/my plants is water them...no green thumb required!

4:33 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I will pray for those poor plants but I'm sure they will be fine!

You have much patience (or determination) to deal with such bleedy yarn!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is some black water. Good for you for rinsing and rinsing and rinsing and rinsing. I'd have gone rinse, rinse, beer. But that's just me.

8:20 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I think you have discovered the Black Hole of Yarn. I mean, how else could so much dye possibly come from one skein? It's *got* to be coming from somewhere else. I imagine that there's some bewildered knitter in Norway or something, watching in awe as her knitting slowly grows paler and paler.

Anyway--contacting the dyer is totally in order here, methinks. And, live little planties, live!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for live planties! I must post mine that I haven't murdered either! Gosh...that black yarn!! Have you tried the vinegar yet?

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe how black that water is - and I am just amazed you stuck with it - I think I would have tossed it. Have a fun party!

4:02 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oooh, ouch, that water is painful to look at! Kinda makes you wonder just how much dye was used on that yarn if that much came out in the wash.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Bleeding sucks, but... man, that yarn is pitch black! Awesome!
I like black.

7:20 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh goodness. I hope the yarn is worth all that trouble. Its gotta be right???

Hope you had a happy 4th!!

2:15 PM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow that yarn better be worth it! dang!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home