Thursday, August 12, 2010

They call me a Space Monkey

Well, it's more like Space Monkey Lite.
Space Monkey1
The vote in my WWYK post was overwhelmingly in favor of Cookie A.'s ubiquitous Monkey pattern, so who am I to argue (don't ask my husband that). Gotta say, you all were right. I LOVE these.
Space Monkey2
Since this is the slightly heavier STR Mediumweight, I knocked the stitch count down to 56 stitches by changing the K2s to K3s. I also ditched all the purls in favor of a cleaner, all-knit look. And of course, gotta have my EoP (Eye of Partridge) heel flap.
Space Monkey4
The fit is spot-on perfect! Nice and snug cuffs to heels to tippity toes. And of course, the pattern shows off this variegated colorway like no other. Since I gave away my last pair, it's nice to have a finally have some Monkeys to call my own! :)

Yarn thoughts
This is STR Mediumweight in Space Dust. It was a gifty from chemgrrrl with my penis-like sock monster, granted in exchange for a shrug that made me itch. (Well, now, that was an interesting sentence.)
Space Monkey3
It's STR, so I don't need to tell you how fabulous the yarn is. But lookit the color! Didn't it knit up spectacularly? I initially tried it on 64 stitches, but a) the sock was way too big and b) it wasn't blending as nicely. On 52 stitches, however, sheer sock perfection.

Wrap it up
After getting bitchslapped on my last two pairs, these socks are a big, fat, tasty WIN. Love the fit, love the color, love the yarn, love it all. Ahhh, now that's better. ;)
Space Monkey5
Space Monkey Lite
Pattern: Monkey from knitty, Winter 2006
Yarn: Socks That Rock Mediumweight, 1 skein in Space Dust
Needle: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in size 1.5, 32"
Mods: Changed the K3s to K2s for 52 stitch count, ditched the purls, EoP flap

12 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

Nice! Thanks for the great mod notes.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

those socks are so adorable!! they look fantastic.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Fantastic! I may copy you (which would be the sincerest form of flattery!). I have Puck's Mischief in Mediumweight. I've wondered how a 56-st Monkey would look. I may even leave out the purls like you did, although that might cause me pain.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome socks!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Monkeys are always good, especially purl-free Monkeys. Now I'm getting the urge to knit a pair myself.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

They turned out fantastic. Plus, now you can say the phrase, "where did I put those space monkeys?". Awesome. I always love the EoP heel.

1:24 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh they look fabulous! You zeroed in on the perfect stitchcount for the colorway in that pattern. Well done!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love, love, Love! So glad these fit just right ;)

3:32 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

You have no idea how close I came to keeping that yarn. None.

The socks are beautimous! And dang, you knitting them fast.

9:03 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous gorgeous! Love these socks and the yarn! And the honeybee socks...so pretty! You are on a sock mojo roll!

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very nice - they look great! Makes me want to make another pair of Monkeys

2:00 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

lovely! the colors worked perfectly.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home