Monday, November 26, 2007

Knit n' grub

Thanksgiving Centerpiece
Potpourri in a vase. About as Martha as I got this weekend.

Random roundup, yippee kai yay (sans m.f.):
  • Backyard Leaves Scarf - I tried to let it go. Really, I did. But those two mistakes were bugging the crap out of me. Then I figured, well, the cast-on was a little too tight anyway, so I just frogged the whole damn thing and started over. I know, I know. It's a sickness.

    I've since finished the first half and have started on the second. Reboot aside, it's a really fun knit!

  • Asminah Hat - I started this while the Backyard Leaves Scarf was sitting in my wip bag (you know, feeling all kinds of guilt and shame for what it had done). It provided comfort and solace in my time of need. Now it's patiently waiting for the scarf to FO so it can fulfill its hatty potential.

  • Starsky - We're on baby! I was able to procure 4 extra balls from a fellow knitter, which only leaves me about 110 yards short overall. THAT I think I can work with, as I'm planning to nip the ease in a bit and ditch the belt for buttons. I'm set to cast on around mid-December.

    BTW, thank you all for the head thwaps! I needed that. There was a whole master plan for making the yardage stretch, but I'm pretty sure - being me and all - that it would have ended in tragedy and tears.
Thanksgiving Dinner
Turkey gooood. Potatoes gooood. Stuffing gooood. Gluttony goood...
  • If you look in the upper right corner of the above pic, you can juuuust make out those mashed potatoes I talked about in my pre-turkey day post. And oh lordy, they were fan.freaking.fat-filled.tastic! Almost a spiritual experience.

    Right before we served everything up, Hubster asked if he should put some extra butter on the table. Then I gave him a sample. As soon as he tasted 'em, he said, "Yeah, those don't need any more butter." ;)

    Five pounds of potatoes were a bit much for four people, though. Hopefully they'll freeze well!

  • Cranberry sauce from scratch kicks canned cranberry sauce's ass.

  • I'm pretty sure I won't be able to look at pumpkin pie for another year. Having snarfed a whole half a pie down in the last four days and all.

  • The mysterious dish from this post was... Salt-roasted Pork Tenderloin and Potatoes! I found the recipe here. It's super easy, quick to prep, and quite impressive-looking, too. Hubster came home just as I was cracking the top off and his jaw practically hit the floor.

    And the taste? Divine. You get so used to sauces and gravies, it's easy to forget how amazing food can be when it's kept simple and true. (Anyone else remember those "Don't drown your food" commercials with the singing cucumber slice?)
I think that's the catchall for now!

6 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Glad that tragedy and tears have been kept at bay!!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee! Yeah potatoes should freeze well. They make great bases for so many other meals.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm glad you're showing that scarf who's boss now!

4:54 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

yum! everything looks delicious!

I'm glad you found some extra yarn, now I can enjoy the Starsky knitting without worrying about tears at the end! LOL

5:51 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

your table looks lovely and delicious. i heart potatoes. i'd be having home fries for weeks.

congrats on a successful solution to the starsky issue and i admire your anal retentive need for correctness. i probably would've let the mistake go.

7:04 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Why, Martha! I didn't know you were a knitter, too!

Your table looks faboo. And you just reminded me about sending you those recipes. You will love me for this. :)

(Yay on getting more yarn for Starsky, btw. Head smacks withdrawn.)

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home