Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ribbed, but not for my pleasure

A couple of nights ago, I felt a sudden desire to knit something gossamer and lacy. I started looking at laceweight yarns. Contemplating cones of Zephyr Jaggerspun. Checking out wispy, floaty, don'ttalktomeoryou'llmakemelosemyplaceandI'llhavetokillyou patterns. Yearning deeply for something triangular and shawly. Very unlike me.

Then I realized, it's the Pop Socks. They're numbing me into boredom. I need something more! Something intricate! Or at least interesting! Cables! Lace! Anything but rib and stockinette! This one-FO-at-a-time thing is great for getting gift knits done on schedule, but not so much for the mental stimulation.

*sigh* I'm sure once I start my mom's Backyard Leaves Scarf and its corresponding gazillion row chart, I'll be fine. Just need to power through and get these socks off the needles. By tomorrow I hope!


Until then, I'll have to keep my mind occupied with thoughts of my next sweater. Despite the fact that I'm sitting here in a tank top and shorts in the middle of freaking November, I am totally, completely, 100% lusting for Starsky. I love it. I want it. I have to have it.

Problem is, I only have 770 yards of this now-discontinued bulky weight yarn in my stash (and that's if what's on the cone is what I was told was on the cone). The pattern calls for 1100 yards.
Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky
Why can't you be the magical cone of endless yarn?

I keep hemming and hawing, wondering if I have the knittin' balls to forge ahead with a few mods and see if the yarn makes it. I could shorten the overall length by a couple of inches (especially the sleeves), knit the back in plain stockinette (since cables tend to hog yardage), ditch the belt for buttons, and make the shawl collar less...voluminous. I could also trim a few stitches here and there to give it less ease. I mean, the 8" in the pattern sure does sound like a lot.

Or one of you could swat me upside the head, tell me I don't have enough yardage, to use the yarn for something else and save Starsky for next winter. Hey, it might even get cold by then.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, the neverending ribbing!

I'm right there with you!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Gee, it sounds like you could do that!! I say forge on..but then I would cry if you did have to frog...sigh..glad it's your decision not mine! ;)

3:15 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Have you tried looking on Ravelry to see if anyone else has some?

Of course, my solution would just be to buy enough of another yarn ...

4:53 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

*Ka-THWAP!*

300 yds is a lot to be short, and you've got a lot of ifs. Mebbe you should find something else cable-y and delicious? Mebbe?

Hey look at me, I'm the voice of reason! This is a first. :)

6:22 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i don't know. you seem pretty small. starsky looks pretty huge (to me anyway) how bulky is the cone? (like 10-11 needles or 13-15 or *gulp* 19?) i can typically make a worsted weight cardigan out of 900 yards.

you probably can't make starsky with the 8" of ease, but you might be able to make something similar with the yardage you've got. if it were me, i'd top-down raglan it and see how far you can get. do the sleeves first so you can just knit the body til you run out of yarn.

i typically never get close to the amount of yardage that a sweater calls for, but i am inhumanly short and i hate sweaters with more than 2 inches of positive ease.

i'd either just use starsky as inspiration and wing it, or i'd get a different yarn.

7:03 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I'm on the verge of doing Backyard leaves as well, let's be friends:)

7:52 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I hear you on the boredom issue! I'm planning to resurrect my backyard leaves scarf after xmas. i'll probably frog and start over. But I WILL knit it LOL.

Um, me thinks your crazy to forge ahead 240 yards short. I fear a tragic ending. :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I'm knitting the neverending ribbed section of a sock. It never ends, it keeps on going forever and ever.

I don't trust your cone of yarn to do that, though. 240 yards is a lot. There are pretty, fitted garments made with bulky yarn (not necessarily Twinkle). Find one of those, you'll have enough yarn. It'll be much less stressful than if you knit a pretty cabled cardigan and run out most of the way through.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home