Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Spread the juju

** Update: Winners have been announced, get the scoop here! **

** Update! Now you'll get entered for EVERY three hats you knit! Get the deets
here! **

Well folks, I feel it's about time to hold a blog contest. I also feel it's time to spread some good juju in our little world. So, why not combine the two! I hereby present:

The Hats for Alex Fall Challenge!
This is a different kind of blog contest - it'll take a weeee bit of work, but I promise, you will glow with juju pride.

As some of you may know, our lovely Pam (aka trillian42) started a wonderful charity last year called Hats for Alex. A close friend of hers suffered a terrible tragedy when her darling little boy was fatally injured at the hands of his daycare provider. She turned this tragic loss into a meaningful cause that provides babies at the hospital who cared for him warm and cosy hats to welcome them into the world.

Just think how many adorable, tiny tots there are now who get a lovingly made, hand-knit hat as their very first item of clothing. I mean, seriously, how off-the-charts cool is that!

Last year, she came *this* close to reaching her goal of 198 hats. This year, she's hoping to reach 250 hats. As of today, she's at 116. So let's give her a hand, shall we?

Here's where the contest comes in. I'm challenging all of you to knit three Hats for Alex and send them to Pam by October 31st. That's all - just three itty bitty baby hats between now and Halloween. Do that, and you'll be entered into a drawing to win one of two fabulous prizes:

Your first choice is a skein of soft, luscious Yarn Pirate sock yarn in the gorgeous colorway Wildflowers.
Yarn Pirate - Wildflowers
As you can see, Georgia Yarn Pirate has a really incredible gift with color and her loyal following is very well-earned. She's one of those shark-chum, click-refresh-a-hundred-times dyers that sells out in seconds whenever there's an update, and it's easy to see why!


Not into the sock thing? Well, then I'll bet you'll love this: a pair of 5" bamboo purse handles plus 12 - that's right, 12 - beautiful Entrelec Dangle-free Stitch Markers.
Hats for Alex Challenge Prize

Here's a closer look:
Hats for Alex Challenge Prize
I ordered a few extra stitch markers for myself (you know, just to make sure I was giving you something extra special), and did some major squeeing when they got here. Because these stitch markers are AMAZING. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, beautifully crafted, and they work like a dream. You want to know how much I love them? It may actually be harder for me to part with these than the Yarn Pirate. Given my undying love for sock yarn, that's sayin' something!


To win one of these fabulous prizes, all you have to do is knit three Hats for Alex and send them to Pam by October 31st. Now really, how easy is that! Three baby hats will take you no time at all, and you may just get some ultra-cool swag as a reward. (By the way, make sure you include a note with your hats to let her know who they're from.)

So c'mon - let's help Pam reach her goal of 250 hats this year. In fact, let's help her surpass her goal. Do that, and I'll give away both prizes!

To learn more about Hats for Alex, please check out the blog. Once you read his story, you'll be casting on for a hat tonight.
Do it for Pam, too - a truly wonderful, fun, generous knitty who inspires us all to make the world a better place. We can't bring Alex back, but we can help his spirit live on in others.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee! Easy! That's a mere 9 loads of laundry! ;-)

4:23 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Thank you, honey. You have no idea how much it means to me that you are doing this. I'm going to link to it from my blog and from the Hats for Alex blog.

-Pam

5:50 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

OK, you pushed me over the edge. Hats for Alex was always one of the charitied I wanted to knit for and now that I have my charity mojo going a little bit - I'm digging in my yarn left overs and casting on some hats!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I'm in. :)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I'm in for the knitting of the hats!!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I was going to knit some last year but never got around to it. This year, I'm definitely knitting baby hats!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Bad Amy said...

Your pitch is better than Ron "Ronco" Popeil! You've convinced me.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hats are finished, check my blog for a pic. They'll go out in tomorrow's mail!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in....i loved knitting some last year, and am totally up for knitting more in the next 2 months. ANYTHING for my dear pal Pam.

Hugs,
Alice

7:06 PM  
Blogger schmobes said...

YAY! I was already in the process of finishing my 6 hats for the year goal when this was posted. It is just the extra kick start I needed to stop putting them off :) Thanks!

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to knit up some more hats for Pam - I'm in!!!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks so much for doing this, I got mine done this weekend - great fun! :) It was just the push I needed.

Mine are up on my blog & will be on their way to Pam as soon as they are dry from their bath as my dryer broke.

http://babblingbrook.wordpress.com/2007/09/17/the-final-four-fos/

7:16 PM  
Blogger omly said...

My three got mailed out this afternoon!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

3 hats have morphed into 12. It's become a family project so there are 3 each from 4 different family members! 11 1/2 are now done and I expect to have a photo up on my blog tomorrow and then into the mail to Pam.

Everyone was so touched by the story. The hats are in celebration of our healthy family members and in memory of our own little guy who didn't make it.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was there a winner?

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home