Thursday, February 03, 2011

My first quilt!

It's done!
FirstQuilt1

Since this was my first time out, I went with a basic square design. They're mostly Amy Butler prints from the Passion Soul Blossoms Fat Quarter Bundle, plus the pink Martini Blush print from her Midwest Modern line, and a fat quarter of Alexander Henry's Mocca print (green with pink flowers, next to the martini olives) from the blog prize Jacey sent me.
FirstQuilt2

I know, I probably used too many prints and should have broken them up with some solids or neutrals. But I loved them all too much! And even though it's kinda busy, I think it works.

Given how busy the top is, I used a basic solid Kona cotton for the border and binding, and kept the quilting simple - just diagonal lines about 3" apart.
FirstQuilt4

You can see the quilting better on the back - which, even though it appears more basic, I think took longer to math out, cut, and put together than the front!
FirstQuilt3

Oh, and I discovered that I SUCK at binding. Got the front on okay, but the back was a nightmare. First I pinned it perpendicularly, which led to several missed spots. Then I ran out of thread about halfway through. Since I had to stop anyway, I decided to just undo the back and re-pin it IN the ditch, which really helped avoid gaps the second time around (a couple still got through, generally after turning a corner).

And of course, it's totally uneven with a few foldovers, which I'm just going to leave as charming evidence of my first time. ;)
FirstQuilt5

The mitered corners in the back are also a little off, but not too horrible.
FirstQuilt7

But I did a pretty good job of stitching in the ditch on the front, if I do say so myself!
FirstQuilt6

All in all, I really enjoyed the process, learning how to quilt, and seeing it all come together. It was a HUGE project though, so I was glad when it (and the freakin' math involved) was finally over. It'll probably be a little while before I tackle another quilt this size or larger! But I got a quilting guide for my walking foot and a 1/4" sewing foot so I can start perfecting my seams and straight line quilting, and am totally going to take on some smaller quilting projects in the meantime.

Even more than the process, I LOVELOVELOVE the end result! Snuggling under this quilt makes me so happy! :)

FirstQuilt8

11 Comments:

Blogger AfternoonMoon said...

Gorgeous! I have been thinking about taking a quilting class locally because I am not quite certain where to begin and it is incredible difficult for me not to bite off more than I can chew!
Love the busy colors; i think you chose right. Mixing in a solid color would have dulled it down. It is perfect the way it is!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

Is it wrong that I reaaaaly dig that back? And that I'm stating it yet again? LOL!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That is an awesome quilt! I love all the bright, cheery colors! I can never match up prints well, but you sure did, solids would have been boring like me ;)

Oh I love binding (sick I know!) I usually only sew it to the front and fold over and hand stitch. Feel free to send your bindings to me to finish ;)

6:35 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

It's beautiful! You are right to be proud.

9:14 PM  
Blogger mooncalf said...

I LOVE it. I love love love it.

I wish it were my first quilt.

I am now totally going to get my (abandoned) first quilt out, dust it down and start back up again because I want a my-first-quilt too!

2:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pretty! I love the back!

3:20 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love it! The busy fabric totally works in this one.

5:24 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

congratulations! it looks awesome! and the colors are so bright and fun.

can i send all of my quilts to zonda to bind too?

5:28 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Ah, you beat me! I finished mine last night, but haven't taken any pictures yet.

Yours looks fantastic! The binding is very tricky; I followed a post from Red Pepper Quilts to try to improve (my trial runs had noticeable problems).

I don't think it's too busy. I love it, and I think the AH print is a perfect attention to all that AB love!

7:58 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Beautiful!! I love Soul Blossoms.

I just learned to quilt and finished my first one a few months ago--I thought buying yarn was addicting but fabric is the crack of fibers.

10:40 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh how fun! It's so cheerful! Love it!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home