Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Socks of a feather...

Sit on the couch and stare at Fernie in the background together!
JFeather1
If you've been with me a while, you may remember the Radioactive Love Hussy overdye from my Kool-Aid dye session back in '08. I figured it was about time to knit these hussies up!

The yarn is a sport weight, so I trotted out some size 4s to knit these in the Japanese Feather Sock pattern. It felt odd knitting socks on such large-for-socks needles, but they sure did FO by in a flash!
JFeather2
The pattern is lovely, but it doesn't include a chart (which, at 28 rows, it really should), so I created one myself in Excel and inverted it to go toe-up. Then I just used Judy's Magic Cast-on for the toe, knit the chart, added a Sherman heel, some 2x2 ribbing, and JSSBO to finish!

It's a gorgeous stitch pattern, isn't it? Despite the fact that it is 28 rows long, it's actually very intuitive and easy to knit.
And I love the winding, almost serpentine purl columns in the middle and sides of the feather lace.
JFeather4
Yarn thoughts
This is Instant Gratification Sock Yarn by Hill Country Yarns. The original color was a BLINDING fuschia, so I overdyed it with Cherry Kool-Aid to achieve this much richer, deeper, dark pink color.

The yarn is nice, but not as soft as I would have hoped (and this was before I overdyed it). It has a woolly, borderline scratchy feel to it. But it was only $7.50 on sale, so, frankly, I wasn't expecting much. ;) There was a whoooole lotta tint in the soak (which may have been the Kool-Aid), but no fading afterwards. Some halo, so we'll see how they wear over time.
JFeather3
Wrap it up
It's always fun to knit up yarn you've dyed yourself! Especially in such a fab stitch pattern. Not to mention a self-named Kool-Aid colorway called Radioactive Love Hussy! Let's just hope they don't tarnish the innocence of all of the other socks in the closet...
JFeather5
Hussy Feather Socks
Pattern:
Japanese Feather Socks from Knitlist
Yarn: Hill Country Yarns Instant Gratification, 1 skein in Radioactive Love Hussy (the colorway formerly known as Hot Fuschia)
Needles: HiyaHiya Interchangeables, Size 4, 32"
Mods: Modified for toe-up, Sherman heel, 2x2 cuff, JSSBO

14 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

lovely combo of color and stitch pattern! overdyeing is so fun.

9:20 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh oh oh! They are beautimous! The very graceful lady-like pattern is a nice contrast to that slut of a yarn.

9:36 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Gorgeous! After making a ton of size zero needle socks, I think I need to have something like these on the needles.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

You are on a roll witht he socks lately. I love these; the color is still super fantastic (especially the name).

11:25 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

wow, those socks are AMAZING!! the pattern is gorgeous, and the colour is just incredible.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

They're beautiful!!!

4:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

oooh what a striking pair of socks! Love the swirly bit!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Love that red (and so well named)!
That's a great stitch pattern for a pair of socks.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Beautiful!

But now I'm wondering, what kind of STDs can one get from a radioactive love hussy?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Haha!! Bezzie!!

Seriously have a crush on them!! My favorite color and an awesome pattern...sigh..

7:14 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

That is the most stunning sock pattern I've seen in a long time. And I'm so impressed that you were able to create your own chart.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Fab.U.Lous. The pictures on the page with the pattern don't really do the pattern justice. I never would have been interested in it if those were the only pictures I saw, but your socks are making me want to pick up my sock needles again! I wonder if I have any suitable yarn in my stash ...

5:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow love it! They look great :) Quick question though...could I perhaps have your pattern for the toe up way of doing this?

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Beautiful - great color and beautiful pattern!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home