Monday, September 28, 2009

Wham! Knit! Bat Shawl!

Sometimes I knit stuff just 'cause it's funny.
Bat Shawl 1
Sorry the shawl is off-center. Or is it my butt that's off-center? Hmmm....


I had a buncha notes on this, but my *&$#%)+ hard drive crashed, and for some reason, I didn't back up my 2009 knitting spreadsheet at all this year. *bitchslap self*

So, um, I knit this and...er...it was cool.

Bat Shawl 2
I do remember there was a fair amount of errata in this pattern, only a couple of which were corrected on Anticraft. Some of the others are in this thread on Ravelry, but it's a bit hard to follow. I *think* that the main body of the shawl was corrected online, it was just the edging that hadn't been. I myself had to fudge it anyway, since I was short on yarn - another problem that some knitters have encountered with this pattern. (There's no gauge listed, so if you do decide to knit this, make sure you have some yardage to spare.)

It's a shame about all that, because I think some knitters get turned off as a result. If all of the corrections were made in the original pattern and/or were noted on the Rav pattern page, I sense this would be much more popular. Because c'mon, look how funny!

Bat Shawl 3
What else can I unearth from the memory? Oh, once you get the hang of the bats, it does get a little bit tedious, so this would be a good one for TV knitting (dude, have you seen Flash Forward? Awesome new show! I hope it stays focused and doesn't get all Lost and confused.). And I do remember adding a row of YOs at the top to give it a more finished look. Aaaand, that's all I got.


Yarn thoughts
This is the Tess Designer Yarns Superwash Merino Petite that I had to wash a bazillion times to stop the dye from rubbing off everywhere.
Bat Shawl 4
Unfortunately, the thickness also varied throughout and
it wasn't particularly soft or squooshy. Awesome yardage in a single skein, but with three strikes, I wouldn't knit with this again.

Wrap it up
Just in time for Halloween! This is a such fun departure from the typical knitted shawl, and it ranks way up there on the funky cool factor. If you can get past the errata, then it's definitely worth a knit. Because c'mon, look how funny!
Bat Shawl 5
Wa Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Bat Shawl!

Pattern: Anticraft
Yarn: Tess Designer Yarns Superwash Merino Petite, 1 skein in Black
Needle: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in 6, 40"
Mods: Added YOs to top border, fudged the edging
ETA: The designer published all of the edging errata on her blog in clear, easy-to-follow instructions, just one day after this post, hooray! Click here and knit on!

17 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

OMG super love! I am envious of your coolness. Such an awesome use for black yarn.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Gorgeous!!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Hmm... I wonder if I have time to finish my Tempest and then that in time for Halloween... Nah, probably not. It'll have to be next year. Because that thing is just AWESOME.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Holy coolness Weez! I like it!

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Cool! And your sense of humor just cracks me up!

3:40 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe you kill me!! Love that batshawl! Will steer clear of that yarn too, yikes, 3 times to try to use it.

BTW, I loved Flash Forward too!

4:15 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great, now I have the Batman theme song stuck in my head. ;-)

You are going to wear this for Halloween, right?

4:29 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cool shawl! too bad about the errata though.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

LOL! But the errata will keep me away. I'm on my first shawl, Ishel, and that is hard enough!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Oh, it's beautiful! I'll have to take a look and see what I think about the pattern/errata before deciding whether or not to give it a try. But I sure would like to!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

So pretty!! It turned out beautifully. I had such a chuckle at you calling it the Bat Shawl! Love it.

- Julie

9:57 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Shazam! Pow! Blam!

It's awesome. Are you going to wear it trick or treating? You could wrap it around your head and go as a babushka bat.

Emilee just updated the errata on her blog, btw. Maybe it's better now.

2:25 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That shawl is ten shades of awesome!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Zap! Swoosh! It's bat-tastic!
I'm curious about the Hiya needles, as I've never tried them. Is there something super great about them?

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

That is an amazing shawl - love it! I'm impressed you stuck with it even though you had problems with pattern and yarn - I probably would have bailed...

4:37 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Love it. Perfect for October!

8:34 PM  
Blogger tigermousecat said...

The actual bat pattern looks much like The pattern from Barbra Walkers third book. I made a pair of socks using that pattern. Was fun to knit.
This one does look fun, really captures the Elvira, Morticia look! Too bad the dye was such a pain to set though.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home