Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Let's daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaance!!!!

Or, at least, wear legwarmers to remember that we used to.
Legwarmers1
You may recall, way back when, that I overdyed a buncha yarns with Kool-Aid. This here was the Swinging Turtle Face, formerly known as Artyarns.


There wasn't enough yardage to make much, and really, how many hats and scarves can a girl who lives in California have? But in the ahem, "winter", mornings can get a mite chilly. Padding around the house in the am, there's a drafty open area on the calves between the bottom of my robe and the top of my slippers.

The solution? Legwarmers!
Legwarmers2
When I first thought of knitting these, I knew I didn't want them to be all ribby and clingy. More on the loose and slightly floppy side instead. Cozy, one might say. So, I just knit a little twisted rib at the top and bottom, and threw a cable stitch pattern in between.


The end result turned out perfectly! Not too loose, not too snug, with a nice flare over the feet. I can wear them tall and proud, as shown above. Or, if I'm feeling a bit retro, slouchy like a maniac, as shown below.

Legwarmers4

BTW, you have no idea how unladylike this position was while photographing.
Legwarmers5
Gnarly, dude!

Wrap it up

These are, like, tooooootaly tubular! I could, like, soooo wear them all the time. They make me want to tease my hair, pin Duran Duran photo buttons on my Members Only jacket, and don 85 rubber bracelets on blinding neon colors up my arm. Or I could just wear these and put some A-ha on the hi-fi. I'm sure Frankie would say that's okay, too.
Legwarmers3
Totally Tubular Legwarmers

Pattern: Improvised
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino, 2 skeins in Swinging Turtle Face (102 overdyed with Kool-Aid)
Needles: Holz & Stein Rosewood in size 7, 24" + Ebony in size 7, 16"

15 Comments:

Blogger chemgrrl said...

Where's the shot where you run in place on a chair and fling sweat everywhere? Or pull a rope and dump water all over yourself? I feel cheated.

Those are waaaaay cute. Like, totally.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Rad! I love them. Now I'm dreaming of kicking through piles of leaves while wearing colorful legwarmers.

Then again, perhaps the aerobics studio would be more appropriate?!?

2:09 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wicked! Like gag me with a spoon those legwarmers are so rad!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

She's a maniac, MANIAC!!! Oh, how I do love the 80s. And I'm lovin' your bitchin' leg warmers.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very cute - did you have a headband and off the shoulder shirt on while wearing them?

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! I love the vibrant green.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

Yowza those are green! I dig. And nice use of as many 80s references as possible in one sentence.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..yep totatally 80's! But awesome though!

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love legwarmers. Nice amount of slouch over the foot. Perfect for dancing around the living room like a fool to 80's music, singing into a hairbrush. (What, you mean I'm the only one who does that?) And are your toes always painted and pretty, or was that a special for the photo shoot?

3:52 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

"She's a maniac, maaaaniac!" (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

These are, like, totally awesome. You're writing up a pattern, right?

4:18 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I can't get over the name of your colorway. They're, like, totally gnarly, dude.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Awesome legwarmers!! the stitch pattern you chose is great. Love it!

- Julie

8:48 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Perfect! But where is your ripped sweatshirt?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Those are great! Ah, the leg warmer-wearing days of my youth... leg warmers, big plastic earrings, and really, really big hair. Except mine never got big because it was all straight and heavy. It was a problem at the time, I tell you, a real problem!

2:17 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I think I love the comments just as much as your post!! You know legwarmers are coming back..you know it!! So cute!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home