Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Tatami Me!

Thank goodness for June gloom, because I finally got to wear my Tatami Kimono sweater!
Tatami 1
Nice weed and feed, weez.


And I absolutely LOVE it! It's incredibly flattering, super comfy, and oh-so-chic.


I actually finished this a month ago, but then the weather got stupid hot. And putting on a sweater? Even stupider.
(Is stupider a word? Or would that be more stupid? Kinda like funner. But, I digress...)
Tatami 2
Not a whole lot to say about this one, as I only made one very minor mod. Yes, to a sweater. Shocking, I know. ;) All I did was shorten the width of the sleeves by one inch. Other than that, pretty much followed the pattern, which was
well-written and a breeze to knit.

Once you hit the sleeves, though, it will seem to go on fooooorrrreeevvvvver, so make sure you've got something good on the TV to distract you. (Like Burn Notice or The Closer. If you don't watch either of those shows, seriously, you must.
)
Tatami 3
One no sh*t Sherlock tip, but worth mentioning anyway: Make sure sure sure you knit a generously-sized gauge swatch in the drop stitch pattern so you get an accurate idea of how it will size once blocked. You've got a little leeway here as the fronts cross, but it's kind of like lace - blocking will make a significant difference between how it is on the needles and the actual finished product.

Tatami 4
Nice don't-know-what-to-do-with-your-hands-so-stand-there-and-look-lame pose, weez.


Yarn thoughts

After knitting with the Woobu (ooo, great band name, Knitting with the Woobu) for my Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer, I had to use it for this (and yes, in the exact same color, too)! The merino/bamboo blend is fabulous, and the drape works beautifully for this sweater. Plus, you get a ridonculous 620 yards in just one skein!
Tatami 5
Nice smirk, weez.


I think I touted the joys of Woobu in the Neckwarmer post, but will reiterate here, it rocks! Wonderfully soft with a silvery sheen and no itchies whatsoever. Another winner from BMFA!


Wrap it up
I think this ties with the CPH as my favorite sweater ever! The shape, length, the drape, the yarn, everything just comes together perfectly. It's also great when you want to walk your fake dog in the middle of Old Navy.
Tatami 6
Tatami Kimono

Pattern: by Melissa Wehrle of neoknits
Yarn: BMFA Woobu, 1.25 skeins in Spinel
Needle: Holz & Stein Ebony in Size 4, 24"
Mods: Shortened sleeve width by one inch

18 Comments:

Blogger chemgrrl said...

Wooooooooooooboooooooooooooooooooo! Is that how it's pronounced? If not, it should be.

Is tres cute. Tres tres. And those kids in the last picture look so happy to be posing next to you!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

It looks awesome!

And I completely agree on the shows. And add "Psych" to that list, too.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

hahahaha love the ON manni pose!!! That's a nice looking sweater!!!

I can't watch Burn Notice. Not with Bruce Campbell....I keep thinking he's going to pull out his boom stick.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I haven't been in an Old Navy in years - they actually have those mannequins from the commercials in the stores?

I love the color of that yarn. Such a versatile blue. Sweater looks awesome on you - smirk or no smirk.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

The sweater fits you absolutely perfectly. I can see why it's a favorite.

Loved the last photo; I've sat through too many of those commercials!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Woohoo, love it! Hehe...especially the pic from Old Navy LOL!

8:06 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Goodness! That is just fabulous!! I heart WOOOOOOBOOOOOO!! And who knew that they were now selling Woobu sweaters at Old Navy!! Seriously, that is just about the cutest picture!!

Spinel...one of my favorites!!

Plus, this will be the most perfect sweater for summers in San Francisco!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It looks fabulous on you! And that last shot completely cracks me up. Did you get any weird looks from Old Navy patrons?

4:22 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ok, it creeps me out a little that you blend right in with the ON mannequins.

the sweater looks great! does it stay on your shoulders?

5:52 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Just lovely! Very flattering, and I bet it will be quite versatile, too.

BTW, those ON mannequins give me the willies. So creepy!!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

Oh, you look GREAT in that sweater! It's beautiful. lovely drape and color.

11:22 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

GREAT sweater, weez!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Gorgeous sweater - it looks fantastic on you! And I love the picture with the Old Navy manniquins....too funny.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Wow, it really is incredibly flattering, and that color makes your skin glow! Excellent job!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

It's beautiful! Simple yet classy. I love your fake dog... I have a photo of me with the wax Target dog... they are so well behaved!!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

It's utterly gorgeous!!! I'm considering buying the pattern now, although at $7 it's a pricy pdf. Which size did you make, if you don't mind me asking?

You did an amazing job!!!

- Julie

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Freakin adorable. I don't think this is a pattern I would normally consider, but it is oh so cute on you. Well played, weez.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE that sweater! I haven't seen it in awhile. Thanks for such a cute reminder of a great pattern!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home