Friday, February 20, 2009

It's like a cowl, but not

Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer 1
Get your motor running...

Last fall, I put a call out on the Rav "Socks That Rawk" board, hoping to find a few yards of Woobu to swatch with - and received a generous cake of 33 grams instead! Aren't knitters the best? :)

This neckwarmer was the perfect way to maximize the yardage, and turn out one those cowly-type things everyone seems to be making these days!

Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer 2
Another winner from knitty
The Lace Ribbon Scarf from knitty is super easy to knit, memorize and mod as needed. And ain't it purty? Lacy without being frilly, geometric without being overly angular
.

To make it shorter, slightly narrower, and keep the ends symmetrical, I:
- CO 44
- Knit two rows
- Knit the pattern for 7 repeats
- Knit two rows

Once blocked, the final size came to 9" wide by 25.25" long. Then, to make it a neckwarmer, I added these fun little retro Paris buttons, which I absolutely love!
Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer 3
Paris, take me away!

Another beautiful thing about this pattern? The double YOs work perfectly as buttonholes! So you can a) add buttons after it's blocked to ensure just the right placement; and b) button it up tighter or looser depending on how chilly it is. Neat, huh!
Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer 4
Yarn thoughts
This is Woobu, a fantastic 40/60 sport weight blend of bamboo and merino. Gives it a sheen and drape similar to silk with the warmth of wool. Soft and snuggly, too. It also comes in gigantor hanks of 620 yards - 620 yards, people! How awesome is that!


Per Blue Moon Fiber Arts, the bamboo doesn't take in the dye as much as other yarns, so it's not as saturated as say, their STR is. But it more than makes up for that with a gorgeous silvery tone that is just stunning.

I can't quite recall because I finished this *cough* back in December, but I believe there was very little runoff in the soak. At any rate, there was no color fading afterwards, and it's held up very well to a good amount of wear over the past couple of months.

Wrap it up
I LOVE how this turned out! Keeps my neck toasty warm without adding the bulk of a scarf, plus it can be made as snuggly as the weather demands. It was the perfect project for those kitschy chic buttons, too. All in all, a fitting end to the FO train of '08!
Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer 5
Lace Ribbon Neckwarmer
Pattern: Lace Ribbon Scarf from knitty
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Woobu in Spinel, approx. 33 grams
Needle: 5, 24" Holz & Stein Ebony
Mods: Shorter and narrower with adjustable craftmatic buttons

16 Comments:

Blogger chemgrrl said...

Well, isn't that just darn purdy. I love the buttons, too. Alien invasion of Paris! Whee!

P.S. my word verification word is 'goofalt.' I wish to know what this means.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty! And I love!!!!11! the UFOs over Paris!

4:34 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very chic! i love it.

5:32 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

It's a scowl?

It's very pretty and drapes perfectly!

5:46 PM  
Blogger princessquiltandknitalot said...

It is so pretty. Thank you for posting it and all of the information. I try to check your blog each week. I am glad to read you just needed a little break and are now back at it.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

A bamboo/merino yarn sounds like the perfect match for this pattern! I'll bet it's all nice and drapey.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh I like Cpurl's name, a scowl! hehe.. It's gorgeous!! Love the buttons too!

8:36 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Just gorgeous!! Isn't that woobu to die for! I heart it!! And have a sweater's worth just waiting for the right pattern!!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I lurve it! It's like a scarf, but not. And I love that it's adjustable. Way to go weez!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow lady it is fantastic. I have a 1/2 finished lace ribbons scarf...maybe a not-cowl is in its future ;)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been wanting to try Woobu. Thanks for the review. Not helping me resist. Oh well...

And I really love the Paris buttons.

12:28 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh WOW this is such a great yarn + pattern call, so gorgeous!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty - love the yarn, pattern and the buttons!

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely - you are so creative...speaking of which, you've been awarded...check my blog!

8:34 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. I LOVE how you converted this to a neckwarmer. The buttons are cool as hell but the drape on that thing! Awesome!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

That is super cute! Great way to use up a small bit of yarn... in fact this might be the perfect thing to do with my single skein of silky malagrigo I've been hording... You know. for when I'm done eating bon bon's and watching soaps ;-)

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home