Friday, June 05, 2009

Take a bao (baaaahahahahaha!)

First up, click here and vote "love" under Irishgirlieknit's Cotty pattern for the Q3 STR KAL. It's a super fab pattern, she's a super fab girl, and there will be special pricing if it gets voted in! Let's make this the best STR KAL yet! :)

Next up, a few people wanted the bao recipe from my last post. They're very easy to make, you just need to allow several hours lead time for all the rising.

For the bao, I followed this recipe. A few notes:
1. I found this actually made about 12 good-sized baos, plus two tiny ones (rather than 24).
2. In Step 2, you'll definitely need more than 1.5 cups of flour. I added the 1.5 cups, then gradually added more, one handful at a time, to get the smooth and elastic texture.

3. In Step 3, I made each piece a little thicker than 1" wide, rolled them into a ball, used a rolling pin to flatten them into circles, put a spoonful of filling in the center, then gathered up the sides and twisted the pleats closed.
4. I used a bamboo steamer (which totally rocks) and lined it with parchment paper to keep the buns from sticking.

5. We had leftovers for dinner the next night as well, and they were delish reheated in the microwave.

For the filling, I followed this recipe. A few notes here as well:
1. Instead of pre-barbequed pork, I used boneless pork loin chops and added hoisin sauce to give it that bbq flavor.
2. I used chicken broth to dissolve the corn starch.
3. As noted in the previous post, I think the filling would be better if the pork were shredded. Next time, I'm going to pop it in the food processor after the pork is cooked but before adding the oyster sauce/soy sauce.

These buns (heeeheeeheebuns) would also be great with red bean paste, kung pao chicken, or for that matter, just about any filling. Oh, and forget the fork and knife. These be a rip-open-with-your-hands-and-inhale kind of dish. ;)

Okay, now I want more.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jeanne said...

Thanks for the recipes....I'll definitely be trying them!

5:49 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Thanks for the shout out Weez!!! I'm just thrilled with the chance to maybe see all those STR colors knit up in my pattern!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Interesting recipe, may have to try them! Yes, her pattern Rocks!

2:13 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I fulfilled my civic duty by voting for carrie!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home