Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm all dark and twisty inside

No, seriously, I am.
Seriously 1
I no longer watch the show
(bounced it from the Tivo a few episodes into last season, when I realized I couldn't stand any of the characters any more), but how fab is this Seriously? colorway from sKnitches! After I saw Zonda's, I simply had to have it!

The one dilemma I always run into with self-striping yarns, however, is finding something fun and interesting to do with them. After much debating, I settled on the Riverbed Master Pattern from New Pathways, using the following:

- Whirlpool toe
- Chevron-y stitch pattern with purl borders for added stretch
- Plain heel
- Reinforced flap with stitches slipped knit-wise to make them all twisty-like (I forgot to shoot a close-up of that and now they're tucked away in the cedar chest, so you'll have to take my word for it that it looks really cool)
- Twisted rib cuff
Seriously 2
The Riverbed architecture seems to be the most popular and I can see why! These hug the foot perfectly, and they're much more fun to knit than a traditional gusset. This was my first time doing a toe-up heel flap as well, and I gotta say, it was totally magical how it all came together! No fussy picking up stitches, either.


I did have to tinker with the formula a bit (emphasis on tink :P) to get the right fit, though. On the first pass, the foot was too long. On the second, the leg was too tight. On the third, I used fewer H (wing) stitches and added some stitches to the instep and the leg. Luckily, this stitch pattern is very easy to mod - you can barely tell where I added the extra stitches!
Seriously 3
Overall they fit like a glove, but the foot is still a teeeeeny bit too long (you can see a touch of bagginess at the heel in the second pic). Next time I knit the Riverbed, I'll need to shorten the toe, shorten the heel turn, or start the arch expansion sooner than called for in the book. Also, much as I like that Whirlpool, the point of it tends to sit under my toes, so a different style may be in order.

Yarn thoughts

I love me some sKnitches! This was the same yarn used in my Feather & Sand Socks from last year, with the same feel and results here. Fab color job, soft, no fading, no pilling, and no runoff in the soak. She rocks!

Wrap it up
Is it wrong to say I love these socks a whole lot more than I ever loved the show? The colorway knit up fab, the Riverbed architecture was super fun to knit, and I *almost* got the stripes to match up, too (they're about a row and a half off). They'll be an instant cure whenever I'm in all dark and twisty inside. Seriously!
Seriously 4
Dark & Twisty Riverbeds

Pattern: Riverbed Master Pattern from New Pathways
Yarn: sKnitches Syncopation, 1 skein in Seriously?
Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steels in Size 1, 32"
Mods: Tinkered with the Riverbed formula, rest was my own pattern

19 Comments:

Anonymous Beverly said...

Love, love, love them! I really need to get that Cat Bordhi book. I'm a bit bored with my usual sock construction.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great post and fabulous socks! I just got that book, but I've yet to knit a toe-up sock. Can't decide if I should do a conventional toe-up first, or just dive into the riverbed master (sorry about the dive pun).

I lurk at your site quite a bit, and I learn a lot. Plus you make me laugh.

5:20 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay Riverbed! They look so fun in that yarn! Love the colors. But I don't understand which show you're talking about?

6:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Whoa girl! Those are fab!! Seriously? hahaha I crack myself up :) Anyhow, you just answered my question on how that pattern would work in a self-striping...mahvalous!

Freaky, my word verification is
meredr

6:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think if you got the stripes to match up any better, you'd have machine knit socks. And what fun are those? Certainly not anywhere near as fun as yours.

I really need to break out my New Pathways again. All the cool kids are doing it.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Those socks are awesome!! Love the candy colours.

- Julie

8:33 PM  
Blogger Walden said...

They turned out great!

1:34 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I kinda feel like breaking out my leisure suit now. I dig!

3:52 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I really, really love the Sknitches yarn as well. These socks are perfect!

5:41 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! i love the color combo. so very un-dark and twisty.

i gave up on the show too. i'm pretty sure that it used to be good but it's so crappy now i'm questioning my past memories.

PS my word verify is "recone." tee hee.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So cute! I love them.

You know, I took a break from Grey's a couple seasons ago, and then I started up again this past season!

8:25 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Those are both way and uber cute. I need to try that book out. Still haven't. Pity.

8:51 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Seriously? Those are some fantastic socks.


Grey's sucks but I cant' stop. send help.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Perfect - the perfect pattern for the perfect colorway! Wear them in good health.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Seriously? They're adorable.

6:44 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I think I've committed to that show for life...could it be that I'm dark and twisty inside too?!!

Those socks are fabulous!! Seriously! Love them, and think I better cast on my skein soon!

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

I've never seen the show - but love the socks! What a great pattern for that yarn!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Fabulous socks! I booted that show last season, too, when I realized that I was rolling my eyes more per episode than was healthy. And I totally agree - finding something fun to knit with self striping socks is a challenge. I always just end up knitting a plain old sock. These are way funner than that!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously? They are super cute. But I'm a sucker for stripey socks!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home