Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Favorite Socks indeed

Embossed Leaves 3a
My favorite sock pattern + my favorite sock yarn = my new favorite socks!


With so many fantabulous sock patterns out there, it's not often that I'll repeat one. But the Embossed Leaves is definitely worth an exception. And it's not my
first time, either (that's what she said!). In fact, it's not even my second.

No, my friends, this would be the
third time I've knit these socks. That's how much I love this pattern! It's even better once you have it memorized, too. ;)
Embossed Leaves 3b
As with the previous versions, I:

- Used a regular long-tail cast on (instead of the tubular cast on)
- Skipped the yarn cutting thing
- Subbed in an EoP flap
- Shortened the foot, knitting 7 total repeats of the leaf pattern
Embossed Leaves 3c
Kitchener that butt shut!


New this time around, I:

- Decreased all of the purls on the back of the foot down to P2s in the half-repeat just above the heel flap for a tighter fit around the ankle
- Changed the P3s to P1s down each side of the foot
- Decreased the center P3 to P2 in the first Row 1 after the gusset decreases
- Began the Star Toe at Row 3, since my stitch count was lower
- And, since I will never be able to get SJ's cat butt reference out of my head, decreased the toe down to 6 stitches and kitchenered it together. This turned out to be a big plus, I actually like it better this way!

Yarn thoughts
STR, my fave! And I LOVE this colorway (Blue Moonstone), which was a blog prize from Nell. The blues, the greys, the whites, so pretty! Plenty of interest with the three different colors, but with shading so subtle, it works like a solid. No real striping, either. The pooling was totally random, which I love!

Wrap it up
My new favorites! Gorgeous colorway, super fun pattern, perfect fit. I just want to hug them and kiss them and call them George! In fact, I just did.
Embossed Leaves 3d
Embossed Leaves Socks

Pattern:
Favorite Socks or IK Winter '05

Yarn: Socks That Rock Lightweight, 1 skein in Blue Moonstone
Mods: Long-tail cast on, no yarn cutting, decreased stitch count just before flap and on foot, EoP flap, shorter foot and toe, kitchenered toe

15 Comments:

Anonymous Jeanne said...

Gorgeous! I made these socks just once - and gave them away, and I've always thought I should do them again. Now I really want too!

2:31 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Yarn cutting? What is this yarn cutting that you speak of?

I have never knit those. I did start once, but they were way too big and I frogged them. But they were so pretty that I waited about 2 years to frog them. Denial is strong with this one.

Anyway, those are way pretty. I should make some and maybe if I'm good, they'll look like yours.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ok, since your threepeatedness gives you street cred--how do they wear? I'm always leery of lacey socks made of soft yarn. I love STR yarn too--but I'm really not impressed with how it wears.

You could just have daintier feet than me!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

ooh, pretty in that colorway!! I like the ankle decreasing idea as I have skinny a$$ ones LOL! Wish the rest of me was that way!

3:31 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love those socks and that pattern too!

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Lindsay said...

Those are beautiful! You always make such lovely things.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm pretty sure I've knit this pattern three times myself, and frankly I've never understood the yarn cutting thing. Why? So weird.

Anyway, I really like these! I think I may have to make my pair in STR (you know, just so I can totally copy everything you do).

4:23 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i'm going to knit these again someday too. there is just something about that pattern--it's perfect!

i love yours in blue. so pretty and they look very soft!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Every time I see a pair of those socks I want to make some. Then I remember that my copy of that issue of IK is buried in a box in the closet black hole that I deny all existence of. Someday...

Your socks are quite lovely!

8:37 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Goodness gracious! Those are absolutely stunning in STR!! So pretty! Hmmmm....I've knit this pattern twice now, but never with STR....maybe its time for a third pair!!

9:20 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Beayooootiful! I've done what, 5 pairs? And still haven't made a pair for me yet. It's high time. It shall be done this summer. Oh yes.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Beautiful! I have yet to knit that pattern... or with that yarn. I feel like I"m missing out.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

wow, those socks are so awesome, I love the leaf design!! I'm surprised I haven't seen the pattern before. You did a great job!!


- Julie

4:01 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Those really are incredible! Now I have to try that pattern. You've convinced me.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's one of my all time favorite patterns too. They just seem to fly off the needles. Glad you got a good pair out of the blue moonstone. Great pairing of pattern and yarn!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home