Monday, October 06, 2008

There's a Mingus betwing* us

Mingus 1
* I know that's not a word, but it rhymes so go with it.


Look - I made socks without a EoP flap! You might wanna peek out your window now and get a pic of that pig flying by.

In case you didn't guess from the plethora (and you thought I'd never get to use that word) of ktbls, this is a pattern by Cookie A., called Mingus. Ain't she purty? One thing I just love about her patterns - they're truly unique. She's no throw-a-stitch-pattern-at-it kind of gal. Not that there's anything wrong with that (as I do that myself on many occasions), but you can clearly see she puts a lot of time and effort into her designs. Which is good, 'cuz I've got like, five of them.
Mingus 2
See, even Fernie likes 'em!


The only meh about this pattern is the chart. It has you jump around quite a bit - you knit two separate rows of the chart two times every round. Did that give you a headache? Yeah, me too. So I dragged that baby into Photoshop and whipped me out a full chart. It went SO much faster after that. Not only did it save me from jumping around every round and swearing like a sailor from losing my effing place again, it also helped me visualize the pattern, which made the knitting itself much more intuitive.

Okay, someone put out my incense 'cause I'm getting all Zen again.

The only mods to the actual knitting part were on the toes:
  • Decreased 2 stitches on each side of the instep on the last two rows of the foot to even out the stitch count (instead of shifting stitches at the start of the toe).
  • Inverted the toe decreases to lean away from the center rather than towards it (k2togs on the right, ssks on the left) as it looks nicer (IMO), and fits my toes better for some reason.
  • Kitchenered with 13 stitches on each needle (I like me a less pointy toe).
And did you see? I didn't do my usual EoPaholic flap! These really called for the twisted rib. Also made me realize how much the EoP flap pulls up. I only had to pick up 13 stitches for the gusset, rather than 16 or 18 like usual, which made the decreases go by that much faster. Saved myself 6-10 rows! Now, I generally don't have to worry about running short on yarn with my elfin feet, but sometimes, when you just wanna hurryupandfinish so you can wear your socks, faster is a good thing. Not sayin' I'm ditching the EoP or anything, but I might be more inclined to veer away from time to time.
Mingus 3
That be twisted, sister.


Yarn thoughts
This is Baywood Yarns Pearly Twist Sock Yarn in colorway Waves. Very pretty, dontchathink? Lovely, rich hues that left behind some tint in the soak, but no fading afterwards. Did develop a bit of a halo, though, which makes me wonder how well they'll wear. Guess I'll find out! You know, if it ever gets cold for more than a freakin' day around here. :P

Feel-wise, I'd say it's about average. It's a nice yarn, excellent yardage (the legs are longer than I usually go for, and there was plenty left over) , but not really sproingy or extraordinarily soft. This pair is a funky cool addition to my growing handknit sock collection, but the yarn didn't really stand out enough for me to want to try it again.

Wrap it up
Fun (if not a little painful) to knit, with faboo results! The dark colorway needed a strong, distinct pattern to show it off, and Mingus came through like a champ. Plus, it sounds like a sea creature! And when you've got a sense of humor like a 10-year-old, that always helps.
Mingus 4
Mingus

Pattern: Cookie A.
Yarn: Baywood Yarns Pearly Twist Sock, 1 skein in Waves
Needles: HiyaHiya Steel, Size 1, 32"
Mods: Photoshopped the full chart, weezed up the toe

18 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love them!! Those are some gorgeous socks and I agree, Cookie's patterns rock!!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Very pretty! They do look like Potomai on crack--maybe that's what Mingus means?

4:20 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Beautiful! I really like the combination of the colorway with the pattern -- it does make me think of some kind of sea creature.

4:39 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh heavens, those are pretty. Are they in my queue? I have to go check now.

5:42 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

love the colors and the pattern works perfectly with the yarn.

it's early morning so i'll refrain from attempting any witty comments at this time.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

The color is awesome! I have yet to complete even an uncomplicated sock, so for now, I can only covet Cookie A patterns.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am fiberfool on knitty and I wanted to tell you I have knit two pairs of the Lucky 7 mitts so far and I just love the pattern you shared with us, your loyal fans. Thank you so much for a great pattern!!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant Mitt Envy not Lucky & mitts! Sorry.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really pretty, twisty socks! A perfect match of yarn & pattern.

I have a bunch of the Japanese stitch books and I hate seeing new patterns on Ravelry that are totally filched from them. And worse, when the designers writes some sappy little thing about how she was inspired by flowers on the fence at sunrise or some crap. It's just page 93!

But I agree, Cookie's patterns aren't just a stitch slapped onto a basic sock form. Mingus might not be her most unusual sock, but still has the creativity that she puts into all her patterns. She's one designer that I don't mind paying good money for her patterns.

Ooops, sorry. My rant, your blog. You can have your comments back now.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Gorgeous socks -- wonderful matching of yarn and pattern!!

And a wonderfully entertaining write-up as well. :-)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Oooooo, purty. The colors are perfect for that pattern.

Maybe that's why Cookie's patterns are kinda scary to me - I always have to seriously modify any sock pattern I make because of my uber tight gauge and fat ankles. I fear that because her patterns are so structured, then I'll have trouble modifying it for my weird knitting style.

Please, please take a closeup pic of the toe. I wanna see those decreases and how they come out looking when done in the opposite direction.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those are gorgeous! I like how you describe everything too! (whoops, just ducked a pig!) Ok, back now...hehe

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous - love the pattern and especially love the color!

5:31 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. Just - wow.

Stunning.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That color is amazing. It looks all marine-y.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Those are beautiful!

1:31 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I am glad to see that an EoPaholic can make strides in beating her addiction! These Minguses (Mingi?) are fantastic:)

5:41 AM  
Blogger Juls said...

Love these! great yarn choice and pattern. You're a freakin' genius with the chart thing. It never would've occured to me that I could merge the charts!!!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home