Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Shruggy be mine

LL4Mi Shrug 1
Dis one be mine!


I was very sad when I had to say goodbye to the last shrug.

Nothing like a little silk to soothe the pain!
LL4Mi Shrug 4
On the left is my mini R2D2-ish trash can. Saves me from making that long, arduous 3-foot trek to the bathroom trash can.

Dream a little DIC
With two luscious skeins of Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb left in the stash, a shrug seemed just the ticket. Plus, there are only so many scarves a girl can use when it's 93 effing degrees at the end of freaking October. Stoopid global warming.


The Dream in Color Shrug turned out to be the perfect pattern for this, too. It's lacy but not froufy, which meshes fabulously well with the variegated colorway. It's easy to memorize but not mind-numbingly dull, which makes for a fun and speedy knit. And it's basically a large rectangle with sleeve seams, so it can easily be modded to make the most of the yardage.

And man, did it make the most of the yardage. Lookit how much (or should I say how little!) is left over:
LL4Mi Shrug 6
Can you say, grey hair sprouter?

That's about as close as I've ever cut it!


One of the skeins was slightly darker than the other, so I knit each sleeve with the darker one and russian joined (can I use that as a verb?) the lighter one for the back. Now that it's all done, you... uh... yeah, can't even tell they're different shades. Sweet. But eh, you know me, I'm freakishly anal and would've obsessed over it (and incessantly) otherwise! ;)
LL4Mi Shrug 3
My pathetic excuse for a ponytail. So sad.

A few mods:
- Knitted 11 rows of ribbing for the cuffs (didn't really care for the foldy ones in the pattern).

- Knitted 11 repeats of the lace to give it long sleeves.

- Knitted 11 rows of ribbing for the edging.
- Bound off in rib with size 13 needles for a nice, stretchy but not floppy edge

Huh, didn't realize until just now that I actually matched the number of lace repeats with the number of ribbing rows. That was totally unintentional. No, really, I swear!

Yarn thoughts
Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb is so dreamy. *goo goo eyes* (I may have casually mentioned that a hundred billion times while knitting my Clapotis.) Someday, when I marry my fifth husband for his money, I'll have a storage facility built in the back of my castle so I can buy it by the pallet and knit with it all day long while Peter the Pool Boy fans me with a giant palm leaf.

Wrap it up
Much as I enjoy seeing knits go to happy homes, I'm much happier this one is staying with me. ;) It's soft, silky, comfy, cute - and the perfect cure for the itchy shrug blues!
LL4Mi Shrug 5
L4Mi Shrug

Pattern: Dream in Color Shrug
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb, 2 skeins in Jeans
Needles: Holz & Stein Ebony, Size 8, 24"
Mods: Less ribbing, more lace

14 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

And once it DOES get cooler, that shrug will be perfect!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous! I think the original is cute, but I never quite got the shorter sleeves. I mean, if you're cold enough to put on a shrug, shouldn't you cover your whole arm?

I hope it cools off sufficiently so you can wear it. I'd love some warmer weather here -- it was snowing this morning -- so feel free to send it my way.

4:30 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Fantasmic. Looks faboo on you. And I'm sooper-dooper glad it doesn't itch.

Green Jelly says hi. She misses you.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno. I don't think it looks right on you at all. And is that a rash I see forming? I think that yarn might be giving you a rash.

You should send this to me right away. I'll send you some Sugar & Cream cotton to knit yourself another one. That should be safe.

(No, really, it's gorgeous. Well done.)

10:18 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I'm so glad it doesn't itch!!

It looks adorable on you!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Beautiful! And extra bonus for not being itchy!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

So, when you realized you had so little yarn left, did you inadvertently start knitting faster, as if you could finish knitting faster than the yarn would run out? I do that every time I'm running out of yarn.

Those colors look great with the pattern. Nice job!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Just fabulous!! So glad it fits and isn't itchy and scratchy!! I like your mods too! :)

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful and looks great on your! I've wanted to try this yarn for a long time...sigh...

5:08 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

It looks absolutely fabulous on you!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I love the colors, and the fit is oh so flattering. Yay, curing shrug!

8:25 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, you do realize that I'm now going to be totally copying you, right?;)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lion and Lamb- I covet you.

6:59 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Late to the party but I had to say I LOVE your new shrug! It's a great color and a neat pattern! Love the long sleeves. =)

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home