Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dos Clappies

Clapotis
A cuppa and a Clappy - the perfect antidote for a cold and cloudy day.

If I play some Piaf and close my eyes... well, I'll still know I'm not in Paris, but at least my Clapotis will keep me cosy stateside!

Second chances
I knitted a Mini-Clapotis last year, and if you were around these parts back then, you'll remember I wanted to impale myself with a DPN just to get some sweet relief from the sheer and utter boredom of those seemingly endless straight rows.
Clapotis
That be soy sauce on my table. It's like the Clapotis - goes with everything.


So what do I do? I go and knit another one. A full-sized one, no less. Why, you ask? Because sometimes, when a yarn tells you it wants to be something, you just gotta do it what it says. Just as long as you don't start talking back to it and having full-on conversations. At least not in front of other people. Because then they look at you funny. Not that I would know this.

I'm glad I listened, too, because this time, I actually *enjoyed* knitting the Clap! Ah, yes, the difference a worsted weight yarn on nice, big size 8 needles can make. Goes a helluva lot faster than slimmy DK on size 5s. As does knitting 13 straight row sections instead of 20. And using variegated yarn. And having several other projects to run to if I got bored (which surprisingly, I didn't).
Clapotis
This is your weez. This is your weez on 2-second timer. Any questions?


Modotis
Just a few mods:


- I purled the drop stitches instead of using stitch markers - which, if you're ever going to knit this (or for some of you, especially if your name is Pam, knit it again), I HIGHLY recommend. It's soooo much faster and less fiddly! (Purl the drops on the knit rows, knit 'em on the purl rows.)

- Like with my Mini, I twisted the stitches next to the drop stitches on both sides of the knitting. It's a little more effort (kinda like trying to understand the previous sentence), but really makes a difference. (Ptbl on the odd rows, knit through the front on the even rows.)

- Slipped the first stitch knit-wise on the purl rows, purl-wise on the knit rows. This supposedly makes the "bumps" line up or something. Honestly, I can't tell if this made that big a diff, but eh, it didn't take more time than slipping them all the same way anyway.

- Skipped one of the repeats on the increase section (did 12 instead of 13), as I could tell it was going to be pleeenty wide enough. Subsequently, did one less repeat on the decrease section.

That last mod saved me, too.
Otherwise, I totally would have run out of yarn! (I ended up using three skeins, with about 22 grams to spare.) And the size is perfect - 21” x 69” after blocking. Long enough fling over my shoulder, yet no so long that it's constantly in my way (unlike my stoopid hair).
Clapotis
Mmmm... Chai Spiced Tea. Heeee. Teeeaaa.


Yarn thoughts
As you may have guessed, this is Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb. In Bittersweet. Yes, I knitted something in the recommended yarn. And color. So you all might want to go kiss your loved ones right now, 'cause I'm pretty sure the apocalypse is coming.

And let me tell you - this yarn is sheer and absolute heaven. We're talking pure. unadulterated. knitting. decadence. It is lusciously soft, with amazing colors and a sheen you can't believe. If it were superwash, I might have to mortgage the house and buy it by the truckload.
Clapotis
Lookit weez, all growed up and alternating rows. *sniff*


One skein was a noticeably different dyelot than the others, so I used the brighter one in the middle and alternated rows through a section or so when changing skeins. It doesn't photog well (at least, not on my little point-and-shoot), but this really helped the color transition flow more gradually.

Guess that means I'm all, like, growing and stuff as a knitter. 'Cause there was a time I'd have just popped it straight in at the end and been all pissy when it came out looking like poo.

Well, I can't end a section with the word poo, so I'll finish it up by saying the yarn left some tint in the soak, but had no color fade afterwards. It developed a lovely, soft, stitch-evening halo upon drying and blocked like a dream. *sigh*

Wrap it up (ha!)
I'm so glad I didn't let the boredom of the Mini keep me from knitting a full-sized one, because I love this thing! It's so bright and pretty and cosy! The Clapotis really is a brilliant design, too - you can dress it up, down, wear it as a scarf, a wrap, a shawl, whatever, so it will get tons of wear. Like on an unseasonably chilly afternoon in May, when you wanna curl up with a cuppa tea and a trashy book and pretend you don't have a care in the world.
Clapotis
Clapotis
Pattern: knitty, Fall 2004
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb in Bittersweet, 3 skeins
Needle: Addi Turbo, size 8, 40"
Mods: Purled the drops instead of using stitch markers, twisted stitches on both sides of the knitting, slipped knit-wise on the purl rows and vice versa, did 12 repeats on the increase/decrease sections instead of 13.

20 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the mods too. This is one pattern that I too liked better the second time.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Good lord, that's creepy. It looks like the fraternal twin of Pam's clappy. Except smaller ;0)

I dig it!

3:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is gorgeous! I know one of these days I'm going to get the twitch to knit one again, and I'm totally going to use your mods then.

(Oh, and by the way -- I have socks in the same colorway, so if you, say, wanted to lend me your Clappy, I could be uber-coordinated. Just a thought.)

4:33 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

OMG. We posted them at the same time. And in almost the exact same colors!

Yours is gorgeous - it looks SUPER snuggly and soft!

I did the "p the dropped stitches" mod, too, and it's totally the way to go. No stitch markers to mess with!

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I love your photographs, too.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Beautiful Clap! Thanks so much for running through all of your mods in detail - wading through the millions of posts on Rav. about Clap is a bit intimidating. Nice to have it all organized and bullet pointed in one place. Becaues some day I'm going to have to knit this...

5:55 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Well apparently I want to be you, since I'm now itching to start on my own planned Clap. But no! I must save it! For the long car trip! Arg.

It is needless to say that you Clap is the most beauterifious I've ever seen. And that's my favorite LL colorway. Ever.

(And I keep soy sauce on my table too.)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Corinne said...

I love your clapotis. For mine, I used twisted sister silk...the first time a wore it, my white t-shirt turned a beautiful shade of blue!! It is very soft and was a pleasure to knit with. Your's looks lovely on you....I love the color.

7:05 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i love the last pic. you can really see the texture and sheen of the yarn. it *almost* makes me want to knit another one (but not really)

:-)

7:21 AM  
Blogger rockbridge said...

your clap is a beauty! seeing yours makes me wish i had knit mine in the called-for L&L - or some other wool blend, just so it would have a little more drape and sheen.. ah well, i guess i could always make another!! great job!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Love it! It makes me think it might be worth doing again, with the L&L. I also like your mods, which I might have to steal.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

It is pretty! Hehe..love your FO posts as always! :) One day I'll knit one...

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous - simply beautiful. You really are tempting me to try the yarn. And make another Clap...

6:26 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I've seen a few of these in the blogosphere lately and it makes me want to knit another one. The last one I made was for my wedding a couple of years ago, and I really love the pattern. I may have to have another go at it. Yours is just beautiful.

6:42 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

God that's gorgeous. I love that colorway.

8:14 PM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

ooooh I love it! It's so pretty and boootiful! I can almost feel how soft it is! yummy! well done.

I'm sure I'll make another clap so I'm making a note purl the drop stitches, thanks!

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! That yarn just glows. And the pics are great!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your knitting is beautiful and you are hysterically funny!!!

9:22 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Recommended yarn and color? You have gone so vanilla...heh heh, in this case you are forgiven because your Claps are AMAZING!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Georgiann said...

That patttern has been calling my name for a while, and seeing yours makes me sure it's about time. (Good book?)

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home