Friday, August 01, 2008

They call me Mello Yello...

Diamondy 1
Neon socks - that'll wake ya up!

Anyone else remember that soda? My little brother couldn't get enough of it when he was a kid! Well take a long, deep gulp of these bright citrus-y flavors!
Diamondy 2
Spy or diamonds? Gee, that's a tough call...

That's a match
Since I'd pretty much tapped out of Mata Hari with the first two skeins, number three called for something new. This yarn has more texture than my hair on a humid day though, so it won't yield much with anything patterned. (Not that my dumbass self didn't try, of course - as evidenced by the crapped out Jaywalkers.)

After a few frogged attempts and many, many, many curse words, I remembered our resident sock goddess Stariel had published a free pattern not too long ago. Well, call up them eHarmony folks, 'cause we had a perfect match!
Diamondy 3
We're not actors, we're a real couple.

Aren't they adorable? A simple, fun, easy-to-memorize panel of diamonds (because they are in fact, a girl's best friend) travels down each side to add some pattern bling to your textured and/or variegated yarns.

I only made a few minor mods:
- Reduced the stitch count to 62.
- Did a standard 1x1 rib for 15 rows of the cuff (the texture hides twisted ribs), followed by a row of *K10, P2, K7, P2, K10, repeat from * to line up with the purls of the lace panel.
- Knitted the lace panel as follows: K10, Lace inset, K20, Lace inset, K10.
- Did 9 repeats of lace pattern, followed by knit row.
- Opted for a Sherman Heel over 32 stitches, then decreased down to 30 for total of 60 stitches on de feet.
Diamondy 4
Those aren't pillows! (They do kinda feel like 'em though.)

Yarn Thoughts
Er, you might have guessed from the first two pairs that I really love this yarn. ;) But the Greenwood Fiberworks Etsy store has been empty for months now, and supposedly this base yarn is being replaced if it ever does come back up. Which is a shame, 'cause it's sinfully comfy!


Wrap it up
Bright, summery, super cute, comfy stretchy cotton socks. What's not to love!

Now, on a side note - do any of you live near a lys that sells HiyaHiya Stainless Steel Circs? I need another pair in size 1, 32" (and a pair in 1.5, 32" while we're at it...). Right now I can only work on one pair of socks at a time, and that just ain't natural!

However, I'm somewhat annoyed at the online store I got my first pair of circs from and prefer to shop elsewhere.
(I received a damaged needle, and they made *me* pay to ship it back to them. It didn't cost a whole lot, but it's the principle of the matter. Then I had to wait two months for them to get more in stock before I received the replacement.) So if you have handy access to this brand, please email me. I'd be happy to Paypal or work out a swap. Thanks! :)
Diamondy 5
Lemon Limey Diamondy
Pattern: Diamondy by Stariel
Yarn: Greenwood Fiberworks Cotton/Lycra Sock, 1 skein in green/yellow (a Rav destash, no tag)
Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steels in Size 1, 32"
Mods: See above

11 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Great socks! I'm with you on the disappointment that the Etsy shop has been empty for months. I've heard great things about it, and I'd love handknit cotton socks that didn't suck. Mmhmm.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

They still sell that soda don't they? Nice summery socks!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooo, the socks look great! I have some of that Greenwood Fiberworks yarn from ages ago - maybe I should knit some Diamondy socks too!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Am I crazy or did you just quote Planes, Trains and Automobiles?

Such cushie comfy socks. What a bummer that Etsy shop is empty. That yarn is very tempting.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Neat socks!! Bummer on the needle too! Sorry, none near me!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, those are indeed bright. Kinda remind me of Mountain Dew.

I'm with you on the yarn base, though. I don't love knitting with it, but it does knit up into the comfiest socks. My Mata Haris still are the only socks I've worn holes in, probably because I wore them all the time.

9:44 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Super cute!! Perfect summer colors!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I'm having a hard time verbalizing what those socks remind me of. Pixie Stix? Some kind of powdered lemon-lime candy, anyway. You know, the kind you would snort up your nose when you were 12 and pretend it was cocaine?

Anyway, the socks are lovely. And I'm not just saying that cuz I'm on a sugar high.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Greaaaat. Now i have that song going through my head. Do they even make mellow yellow anymore?

Great yarn/pattern combo. Love the diamonds - they rock in neon.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the socks - great colorway and pattern! But I have the song stuck in my head now...

5:23 PM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

Love at true sight! so pretty!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home