Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Two by Two, Bags of Blue

Bags of Blue
Yeah, yeah, they've got other colors besides blue. So sue me.

So, now that Ralph's actually reimburses you a nickel for every bag you bring, there's even more reason to knit some markety bags to shop with! All told, I'm going to make 30 cents a trip! That comes to around $15 a year! More yarn for me! Er... I mean... these bags are good for the earth.
Bagstopper Flat
This bag's got some badonkadonk.

Squatter
First up is the Everlasting Bagstopper. I used a heavier yarn and larger needles than the pattern called for, but didn't bother to change the stitch count because, hey, it's a grocery bag.

Well, that cavalier little attitude came back to bite me in the ass when my bag took on a decidedly Danny DeVito type shape - short and squat. (One would think I might have noticed this after knitting that garter bottom. One would think. *snort* ) Once you fill it with stuff, though, it actually stretches out every which way to conform to more of a bag-like shape.
Bagstopper Hang
And you thought I was squatty. *pout*

I only made a few minor mods (a couple even on purpose) - at the top, I knitted 6 rows of stockinette then 4 rows garter because apparently, I stop reading patterns after the word "knit." I also went with knitted handles rather than ribbons and skipped that middle drawcord thingy because eh, too fussy.

As you can see, the bag turned out heeyooge! But it's nice and sturdy, and should work well for items that are big and light, like the salt-and-vinegar chips I can't seem to stop stuffing my face with these days.
(Filling a bag this large with jars and heavy items as shown is not recommended unless you enjoy supporting your local chiropractor.)

Next up - the Saturday Market Bag from the now defunct Magknits!
Market Bag Flat
Does my bottom look like a butt?

Roundabout
My first Market Bag, which I love, was knitted flat in one long rectangle, folded, and seamed up the sides. This one I chose to knit in the round. Doing so gave me an extra knit stitch at the end of every 4th row, which you can clearly see once the bag is filled to the gills. But it doesn't bother me too much and besides, I was way too lazy to try and geek it out for a grocery bag.
Market Bag Hang
Are those carbs in your bag, or are you just happy to see me? Mmm...carbs...

After casting on and knitting a bit of garter on size 9s, I switched to 13s for the lace, knitted about eight repeats, switched back to the 9s, knitted one row, turned it inside out and did 3-needle bindoff using the 13s. Then I picked up stitches at the top and finished it off with two handles (it's easier for me to carry a full bag that way than one long one).

While my normal preference is to knit in the round, I have to admit, I like my knitted-flat version from last year better. The bag has to bear more weight on the bottom than on the sides, and I fear that at some point, the bottom seam on this one will bust a gut and dump eggs and spaghetti sauce all over the floor (because you know that's what'll be in there when it does).

Me like Ruski
Since both of these bags have open stitch patterns with no seams, joining in that second skein was going to be a little hinky. The solution turned out to be the Russian join, which I must say, totally ROCKS!

This is the method I followed, which trillian42 posted on a knitty thread a while back (thanks Pam!). It's simple, it's sturdy, and it works like a charm!

Wrap it up
The solid bottom of the Bagstopper is a nice reinforcement, but I'm not sure I'd make that one again. First, that was a looooooot of k2togs in cheap cotton yarn, which was not fun. Second, the lacy pattern of the Market Bag is a little more my style - and a lot easier on the hands!

But they'll both work great for my weekly trips to the grocery store, and the bright, summery colors will make the trek a little more cheery. Especially if when they're holding Pop Tarts...
Bagstopper Full
Breezy Bagstopper
Pattern: Everlasting Bagstopper from knitty
Yarn: Lily Sugar-n-Cream in Hot Blue (2 skeins) + a bit of Summer Splash
Needles: Addi Turbo 9, 24" + 13, 24"
Mods: Knitted handles, skipped the middle drawcord thingy, top in both stockinette and garter

Market Bag Full
Everyday Market Bag
Pattern: Saturday Market Bag by Strings & Yarn
Yarn: Lily Sugar-n-Cream in Summer Splash (2 skeins)
Needles: Addi Turbo 9, 24" + 13, 24"
Mods: Knitted in the round, 3-needle bindoff at bottom, 2 handles

12 Comments:

Blogger LizKnits said...

Love both these bags... and the original orange one too. Makes me want to run off and cast on yet another project!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yeah, those k2tog would bug me too. Good to know though. Makes me remember that I need to make a couple more of those.......

4:48 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Now you know why I'd rather stitch around a monkey bottom or Jesus spider instead! I like your SMB. Mind turned out Devito-like. It holds library books instead of groceries as a result.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like both of them - and I really need to make one now too!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Heh, I like yer bags! *giggle*

8:49 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love the bags. I love even more your comment in the beginning..."more yarn for me...err...these bags are good for the earth.." hehehehehe :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for all the comments. I'm planning on knitting some of these once we're in the new house, so now I'll know what to do and what not to do! (And I think I'm going to giggle every time I take one out, because I know all I'll be able to think of is "Danny DeVito.")

4:44 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Nice work! I've loved Ralph's ever since the opening scene in 'The Big Lebowski'!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Nice Bags! I need to knit some of these..I bought a few of the reusable ones but I always forget to bring them with me shopping. I think having a handknit one would make me remember!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome bags! it makes me want to knit a dozen of them, to be more green.

9:14 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

man! Everyone is making bags! Now I want on that bandwagon! so pretty blues and greens!

4:32 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Very bright and cheery! I have been meaning to make this bag for ages. It's very cool.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home