Saturday, May 26, 2007

To market, to market...


I *heart* carbs...

I finished this on Sunday but waited 'til now to post so I could get a shot of the bag in use at the Farmer's Market this morning. I know I always prefer to see everybody's FOs in action, plus it also embarassed Hubster a bit, since I made him snap it. Bonus!

Stuffed with all kinds of healthy stuff, like guacamole and tzaziki...

This is the ever-popular Saturday Market Bag from last summer, which I got a hankerin' to knit after bradyphenia posted hers. It's a pretty straightforward pattern, quick to knit and easy to follow, with a nice open-but-not-gaping lace that's perfect for market shopping.

Gotta mod
I went with smaller needles, because, well, 13s are the largest I have. And that's only because I got them for free with an order from Flying Fingers. To keep it proportionate, I also downsized the needles for the top and handles to size 9s.

Following disdressed's lead, I knitted one big rectangle, ditching the bottom seam in favor of two side seams and going with two handles over the one. To account for the smaller needle size, I did a 35-stitch CO and somewhere around 30 repeats of the lace pattern (after a while I stopped counting and just kept going until I couldn't take it anymore). Whipped stitched up the side seams and voila, the bod was done!

Two, two, two tops in(stead) of one!

For the top, I picked up 27 stitches (two "triangles" in from the side seams) on each side, did a handful of rows in garter, then somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 rows for the handles before suckily* grafting them together. I reeeallly dig the two handles over the one. Much easier to open and stuff all manner of market-y goodness in.
* Kitchenering in stockinette, piece of cake. Kitchenering in garter, not my gift.

Do note, however, that this thing will stretch like your Grandma's boobies, so take that into account and make the body and handles shorter than you think you need to.

Yaaarn
Sugar-n-Cream - it's cheap, it's cotton, it's easy to find and comes in a billion obnoxious colors. Really, what's not to love?

That's a wrap
I LOVE this bag! It knits up quick like a bunny, holds just the right amount, is bright, is fun, and cost less than $2. I actually think I'll go to the Farmer's Market more often just so I can use it!

Saturday Market Bag
Pattern:
Magknits, June 2006
Yarn: Sugar-n-Cream in Hot Orange
Needles: Plastic purple 13 straights + Crystal Palace 9 straights
Mods: Smaller needles, knit with side seams only plus two handles
Lesson learned: Cheapass rules!

7 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome!! I like your mods!!

6:07 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i love it! such a vibrant orange.

6:50 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love it! I forgot I still have this on my "someday-I-really-need-to-make-this" list. I love the color you chose - so fun! I need to pull a color out from the yarn dispenser and have a go.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! You're right, it will stretch like Grandma's boobs! I knit mine last year and did the whole big rectangle no bottom seam too...but I made the handle waaaaay too long not taking into account the stretch factor. Your bag is perfect!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Love it - and now I want to go to the saturday market! Yum taziki! - zuma

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It looks great. I'm almost done with mine! :D

1:31 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Brilliant bag! I love the colour, we don't have anything as cheap and colourful as sugar n cream here that I know of!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home