Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Life is but a dream swatch

Dream Swatch
I wonder if pandas dream of cotton and bamboo running across a meadow into each other's arms...


Got a skein of yarn you don't know what to do with? Dream Swatch it, baby!


Singletons

This was the perfect pattern for that one skein of Panda Cotton that was part of my
SAMKAL4 prize package. On the initial read-through, I had a little trouble visualizing Rows 5 and 6, but once I actually sat down to knit them, made total sense.

From there, it was simple, mindless knitting from start to finish. There was a point in the middle, though, that is similar to what I've heard about the Chevron Scarf - you know, where it seems like you've been knitting it since you flew out of the uterus, and they'll be prying it from your cold, dead hands with miles and miles still left to go?


But once you power through that, the end comes up quick enough and suddenly, you've got a cute, fab little head wrap to wear! (It also works double duty as a swatter if you say, stand next to your husband and swing your head back and forth. But only for a few swings, after that you get really dizzy. That can be fun, too, but not outside when you're standing on concrete.)


Just a minor mod to this one - I knitted 4 rows of garter at the beginning and finished with 3 rows of stockinette, followed by 3 rows of garter, so the beginning and end would look the same.


The side edges do curl in, but it doesn't bother me enough to try and block it out. Especially since this is one yarn that runs through the w/d like a champ!


Yarn thoughts

Panda Cotton is splitty as hell, which makes Row 6 a bit of a biotch, but the stretchiness works perfectly as a headband and the cotton/bamboo blend will be nice and cool this summer.


Wrap it up (ha!)

I dig it! Makes me feel chic, mod, and retro, all at the same time. Since I just lopped off five inches of hair and "I got bangs! My hair's so now" (name that movie!), I'm actually going to have to do my hair in the mornings for a change - which means this baby's gonna get a lot of wear!
Dream Swatch
Panda Wrap

Pattern:
Dream Swatch Head Wrap by Knit and Tonic
Yarn:
Crystal Palace Panda Cotton in Red Cinnamon (1 skein)

Needle: H&S Ebony in size 4, 24"

Mods: Did 4 rows of garter at beginning and end, 3 rows of stockinette before final garter rows.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

They make great shelf-runners too when you're still too self conscious to wear them in your hair. Very nice!

3:52 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

hehehe...Bezzie cracks me up!!

I soooo agree about that point where it seems neverending. Its what has help me back from casting on another..but who knows! You may have inspired me. Yours looks fabulous :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Is that quote from a Legally Blonde movie? It sounds pretty familiar for some reason.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It looks very cute, but dude, you can't go and tell us about your fab new haircut without giving us more than that little peek!

(And yes, the movie? Legally Blonde. I'm kind of embarrassed that I know that.)

4:31 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Purdy! Nice use of a skein of Panda Cotton.

You didn't save the hair you cut off, did you? Cuz I'm trying to grow mine out, and I thought maybe I could glue yours to my ends. No?

8:16 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Legally Blonde! One of my favorite movies (probly shouldn't say that too loud).

I wish I had thick hair so I could wear something like that. It looks really great on you.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Corinne said...

I love it and the color looks fabulous!!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice swatch ;)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Very nice! And I can tell your hair looks really cute even though I can't see your face. It looks all happy and shiny and bouncy.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Legally Blonde!! Love that flick... I'm going to harvard... Like on vaca? Goodstuff.

Your headwrap is super cute btw...

6:21 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh pretty colors against your hair!

5:48 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

ooooh now I want one! It looks great!

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home