Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sweater Surgery in Seven Steps

Step 1: Take two circs and pick up right leg of stitches in row you want to trim to.
Surgery 1



Step 2: Freak out.
Surgery 2



Step 3: Place scissors maaaany rows down as eff-up buffer, since you will of course cut across totally unevenly and need to do it again.
Surgery 3



Step 4: Take deep breath and cut that sucker.
Surgery 4



Step 5: Unravel down
(up?) to two rows before pick-up row to allow room for stockinette edge to roll. Pat self on back for thinking of that and give yourself with a Pop Tart later (Brown Sugar & Cinnamon... mmmm...).
Surgery 5



Step 6: Pick up stitches using slightly larger needle, then bind off using even larger needle. Try on to make sure length is right, jump up and down with glee, remove pick-up needles, weave in end.
Surgery 6



Step 7: Mattress stitch boobage in 6 stitches on each side, starting at the armpit, gradually reducing to 4 stitches, then 2 stitches, down to waist. Backstitch above that just 'cause.
Surgery 7



So, did it work? Was Raspy saved? As soon as this infernal weather clears up, I'll be able to take pics and show you!

14 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Gah!! No fair! All that play by play and no final result (hehe typed reslut, I have a habit of doing that, ask hubby ;)

Anyhow, thanks so much for those pics, a great help! :)

*taps foot and hoping your weather clears up soon!!!! ;)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Yay! I'm so glad you went for it!

2:18 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Girl you completely earned that pop tart!!! Nice work.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I hope it worked out! I've been thinking about doing some surgery for a scarf I've done recently, and you're helping me get up the nerve!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

The fact you posted this makes me think Raspy made it!

I love your tute and the way you still keep your no-face posting policy in tact!

4:37 PM  
Blogger LizKnits said...

Laugh ... you are a brave soul. I'm hoping for the best and looking forward to the FO pics!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Nice tutorial! You're brave, you only freaked out once... and you didn't have to down half a bottle of burgundy before you made the first cut. You have the heart of a lioness!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Oh wow! I was in suspense seeing your photos. I can't wait to see more.

7:17 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I pray the surgery went well!! Show us the pics!!!!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Fingers crossed! (Thought I must say I have a good feeling!)

For the record, that "Freak out" shot is priceless.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I agree with sj. That freak out photo is hilarious! I'm definitely excited to see the revived FO! I'm bookmarking this entry, in case I ever have to something just as brave.

6:05 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i am waiting in breathless anticipation. i also like your headband.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Mary-Kay said...

You made my heart stop. I've never seen anything like that. Your FREAKIN' me out here!!!!

7:05 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

You big tease!

You also forgot one step--have a large glass of yeast poo. Well, *I* would have taken that step. Most likely after Step 2.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home