Monday, March 31, 2008

A fit conundrum

Why is it when I say in advance when I'll have a post up, it never actually happens that way? *sigh* Obviously, I didn't get around to posting the Hedera FO this weekend, but I'll have it up...shortly. Along with a FO post for another pair of socks, which I finished last night.

And Raspy, too! (Yes, that means I've got three FO posts coming. Ack!... too... far... behind... anxiety... anxiety... breathe... must... breathe...) I finished it up on Saturday, but it has me in a bit of a fit conundrum. This is where I need your help, so you get a little FO preview. ;)

It's too big. And not in a comfy cute stole-it-from-my-husband kind of way, but in a totally-unflattering-on-me baggy potato sack kind of way.
Raspy (Too Big)
After the Den-m-nit shrunk up, the shaping turned out more hourglassy than expected. The rack and hips are about 2" too big for my frame. I did a little pinning in, and it looks like both areas need to be taken in to about where the waist shaping is. That will give it very little shaping overall, but should give it that comfy cute stole-it-from-my-husband kind of look as referred to above.

So, as I see it, I have three options:

Option 1: Backstitch it in. Certainly the easiest route, but then it'll be all flappy and bulky on the inside. That'll make it less comfortable as well. Probably wouldn't wear it too often as a result, and that would be a shame.

Option 2: Cut (*gulp*) and stitch it in, kinda like steeking. This would give it a cleaner, more comfortable line than backstitching and if done correctly, would achieve the proper look and fit. Done correctly, though, are the operative words - I've never cut a finished knit before and there's a biiiig eff-up factor involved here. I could ruin it completely.

Option 3: Give it away. I was really excited about this sweater and it took a while to get it done (miles and miles of endless stockinette!), but I'm sure someone would give it a good home! I could put the pattern back in the queue and knit it again later with the proper adjustments - not just for the bust and hips, but in the length as well. (it turned out longer than expected, too, which is fine, but I wouldn't mind it being an inch or so shorter).

So, thoughts? I could use some outside perspective here, because I keep changing my damn mind!

12 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

use your swatch (or make a new one) to practice sewing and cutting. do you have a serger? it should be super easy that way. *should* being the operative word :-)

i'm not you, but there's no way i'd knit that sweater again.

how did you like the den-m-nit, btw?

12:11 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Well...hmm. I think I'm with knottygnome here. Stitching and cutting is the way to go. But yes, please (oh jeez oh pete) practice first!

It's cute though. It's got that going for it. :)

2:00 PM  
Blogger stacyZ said...

Option 2 just because I know how careful you are the ef up factor is actually pretty small i believe ;)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Go with number two and I say throw caution into the wind--practice schmactice! What have you got to lose? A sweater you don't already like?
Yeah that's what I'd do. But I'm weird like that ;-)

4:32 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I will weigh in and say cut it, too. Of course, it's easy for me to say, as I have a Wicked in need of steeking, but I've been too afraid to do it - stupid because I'm not wearing it as it is. I might as well *try* to turn it into a cardi.

There are supposed to be some great steeking tutorials online. I think Euny Jang had one up at one time. I don't know if steeking translates exactly to what you want to achieve, but there should be some good resources. Good luck, and I can't wait to see what you do!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should try to cut it - its a beautiful sweater and I bet if you made it fit you, you'd love it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Cut, definitely. You put in all the time and work, you should get to wear the thing. Lovely shade of blue.

6:53 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I'm with Bezzie. Who needs practice? Just cut the damn thing and be done with it. You'll do just fine. You have such attention to detail that I'm sure you'll fix it perfectly.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Could you try running it through the wash again to see if it'll shrink up a little more? If not, definitely sew and/or cut. You spent too much time on it to give it away and have to start over!

4:41 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I'd cut. you don't want to knit all that stockinette later and it will be good practice someday for steeking something right?

6:08 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Cut it. Go for it.

Unless of course it happens to be the right size now to fit me. :D

It's very cute, and I think it's going to be worth the work to fix it.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Definately, cut and sew it..or should I say sew it first then cut it..phew! It is really nice and all that work, you can do it! :) Make it fit! :)

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home