Sunday, January 13, 2008

My fickle mind

Remember how I was all hot and bothered over Starsky back in November? I wanted it. I yearned for it. I even recalculated the pattern to nip in the ease and stuff. But now that I finally have a chance to cast the thing on, I've been thinking (don't you hate it when I do that?).

A big ol' cardigan in big ol' bulky yarn may not be the wisest choice given the rather temperate climate I live in. In fact, bulky yarn in general may not get much wear around these parts. (I apparently had a stash blackout picturing bulky yarn on one nice big cone, no ends to weave in, yay! The fact that it was, you know, BULKY, didn't seem to cross my mind.)

I could destash the bulky and knit the cardi in worsted weight instead. I mean, it would probably get more wear that way. Then again, I could just keep the bulky and put the project off until next fall. At least then I could get it done in time to wear it through the month or so it actually gets really cold (really cold for here). But do I really want the bulky, or do I just fancy the idea of knitting off a cone? Gah!

*sigh* I'm not much into astrology, but sometimes, being a Gemini really sucks.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like a lot of work to make the sweater if you can't wear it much - but then again...bulky sweaters go really fast! Sorry..not much help....

3:57 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I think you should make it. In my part of the world, anything below 50 is "freezing"

4:05 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hmmm...decisions...sorry no help here but I commiserate as I have the same type weather here..

4:49 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

You could knit the bulky, then wear it without a jacket when it gets colder. It's a decent fall/winter transition garment for your climate, I think.

Around here, bulky is your friend - if you don't have curves, which I do. I don't want to look like I stole Pamela Anderson's boobs and a pregnant lady's waistline!

5:32 PM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

LOL. The "no ends" idea seduce you! It wooed you with fast knitting and minimal finishing. LOL

5:38 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Yeah, I hate that 2nd guessing too. I say abandon it. I finished that Ice Queen and am now wishing I knit something else.

4:19 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Well.....hmm. I'm probably not going to be much help in the making-up-one's-mind department, but. Um. Oh hell, I don't know either! I think I'd be tempted to make it in the bulky and just use it as a winter coat. How cold does it get there, anyway? Or maybe a snuggly I-don't-feel-so-good sweater. It's always nice to have those. It *would* go fast in the bulky. Plus, there are many many other nice and fascinating sweaters out there that call for worsted weight, and maybe you could make one of those, too. Then you could have two nice sweaters!

Did that help? Probably not. Sorry.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I'd put it on the back burner. In a few months (years) you may come to the conclusion that you simply must have one. :)

8:42 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

if you don't live in a cold climate, bulky sweaters are probably going to be too hot, regardless of the weather. and this from someone who is nearly always cold.

they make worsted weight yarns on cones too, ya know. :-)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I found your blog through Bobbi's award list over at the Kelly Green Rogue and thought I'd stop by as we're both on the list. I am currently hot and bothered by Starsky myself. What is up with the smallest size being 40" though? Maybe if you made it in a worsted weight, that would take care of the too-much-ease problem as well as the bulky-yarn-is-too-hot problem?

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home