Sunday, December 16, 2007

The thud of a dud

Cheapascot
She may be pretty, but that's one pricey itch.

Pretty, ain't she? Well, looks can be deceiving. This FO is a complete dud. C'mon, let me show you why.

Winged chevron
Since I only had the one skein of Manos, I figured a My-so-called neckwarmer would be a nice way to show it off. Makes sense, right? Well, about two inches in, I discovered how freakin' DENSE that stitch pattern is (like me after a few beers). As lovely as it looked (like me after a few beers), I don't really fancy wearing a potholder around my neck, so into the frog pond it went.

Instead, I winged up a little chevron pattern and threw in a slipped-stitch edge a'la the Backyard Leaves Scarf. Knitted happily along to the end, where at the last minute, I decided to do an i-cord bindoff. As a final touch, I picked up stitches at the cast-on end and knitted on an attached i-cord to match.

When all was said and done, I had - literally - about an inch of yarn left. I even had to spit-splice that little bit that holds the tag onto the skein to make it to the end! I've never cut it that close before! So, I, uh, guess I was about due. But I loved how the colorway knitted up, and the chevron really made the most of it.

Rough around the edges...
So why is this a dud? First, let's take the i-cords and slipped-stitch edging. Those may have been an error in judgment. Okay, not may have been. They were. The i-cords are much too bulky for something this short and the edges didn't give as much as they could have while blocking. Luckily, the length ended up just fine for a neckwarmer. But, in retrospect, a nice, simple garter all around would have been a much better choice for bulk, blocking, and aesthetics.

...And everywhere else, too
But the real dudder here is the yarn. I was really excited to try my first Manos, having heard from many people how fabulous it is. Now that I have, I'm left wondering what all the fuss is about. Don't get me wrong, the colors are amazing, really rich and beautiful. This one knitted up like a gorgeous sunset sky over the mountains. And it hardly bled at all in the soak.

But holy crap is this stuff scratchy! It was not enjoyable to knit with and felt rather rough flowing through the hands. I hoped that would subside after a nice soak in the Euc, but nope.
No dice. It's still super scratchy and very uncomfortable against the skin. I could barely keep it on long enough to snap a few pics (which is why you only get the two)! I didn't even bother adding buttons, because there's no way in hell I'll be able to wear it (that's a hairpin hoochie jigger holding it closed in the pic). Such a bummer. :(

That's a wrap
I might give the pattern another go with a different yarn, because I really do like how the chevron part knitted up and the size worked out perfectly for a neckwarmer. But this, this I'm not sure what to do with. I have no desire to knit with the yarn again, so frogging isn't much of an option. Maybe I'll just felt it and use it as a hotpad or something. *sigh* A hotpad out of Manos. Great. If nothing else, I'm sure that's a first!
Cheapascot
Cheapascot
Pattern: weezawinged
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay 100% Wool in #106 (1 skein)
Needles: Addis in size 9, 24"

8 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

It looks so beautiful, and that butterfly pin is lovely. Too bad it's scratchy! If you lived somewhere really, really cold, you could wear the scarf over a turtleneck (which is how I wear most of mine come winter). Hey, I know! Come visit the Boston/Providence area, you'll get plenty of opportunity to wear your fabulous neck warmer!

Manos gets a bit softer with wear, but it's not the softest yarn, it's true.

2:48 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It's so pretty though! What a shame. Got a coworker that you don't really like but that thinks you do that you could give it to? Ya know,get all passive-aggressive on their ass?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

It is lovely, but I'm right there with you on the Manos itchiness. I knit a felted bag out of is, and although it's lovely, it totally shredded my hands. :(

Oh well - I guess you and I will just have to settle for Malabrigo. Oh, darn. ;)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I think it looks lovely, but I agree with you - Manos is scratchy. I really only use it for felting anymore. And that's only because I have some in my stash (it's way too expensive to buy if you don't love it). The colors are gorgeous, though.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I'm with you on the Manos - I was gifted a partial skein a while back and couldn't find a thing to do with it because I didn't like the way it felt against my skin. So I passed it along to someone else who knitted a sort of bowl and felted it...

6:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Really? Manos is scratchy? I've never knit with it, and after reading your review, I'm not in any hurry to do so. I've always admired the colors, but then I always seem to go for the Malabrigo instead.

For what it's worth, the neck warmer is really cute! What if you sewed a lining to the side that's against your neck, like maybe a piece of fleece or something else really soft?

4:49 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Really? You think Manos is scratchy? Huh. I don't, which is weird cuz I'm uber sensitive to most things (like, "what the hell is this PEA doing in my bed?!?" sensitive). That's really a bummer. It shore is purty.

9:10 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I'm so sad you didn't love your Manos. :( I love it! I wear My So Called Scarf all the time (I did go up on the needle size so ti would be less dense) I do find some wool itchy but not Manos. How weird. Well I guess that just leaves more Manos for me :) *evil laugh*

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home