Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mitt Envy

Mitt Envy
Don't you want me baby, don't you want me, ohhhhh!

And here, the last of the holifos! A pair of fingerless mitts for my MIL, finished in the nick of time
(as in soaked and laid out on Sunday night, then perched on the dining room table in direct sunlight all day Monday so they could be wrapped by Monday evening nick of time)!

Only got a couple of pics before I had to wrap them up, but not to worry ('cause I know it's keeping you up nights), I'll have more - and modeled - pics soon, as I'm whipping out another pair for myself! In the exact same color, too. Because dammit, I must have them. I must.

Open up a can of patternass
This was another simple yet interesting pattern I whipped outta my ass with the help of a stitch pattern book. Actually, it's slightly off from the stitch pattern - my cheapass self memorized it at the bookstore, came home, wrote it down, then got all cocky-like and tried to knit it from memory. Turns out I remembered it wrong. Can't really tell though, and the end result was super cute!

Like ScWiNoNa, there's not much to these, but I'm happy to write up a pattern if anyone wants! Or should I stop asking that and just do up a pattern whenever something pops outta my ass?

Yaaaarn
So, I've had this thing against Koigu ever since my Dublin Bay socks from last year. I loved them at first because they were only my second pair of socks ever, but they quickly fell out of favor. I was never really into the color (it was vastly different than what was pictured on the website of the store I bought it from), there were these weird hard and unevenly-spun spots in it, and the socks pilled like MAD right from the start.

At the lys, however, I was immediately drawn to this colorway. For me that is! But as soon as I picked it up, Hubster said MIL would love it. Plus, the relatively low yardage for the price would actually work in my favor for mitts.

I was a little nervous about running out (Koigu skeins look miiiighty tiny), but it was all for naught - after the pair was done, I had a good 1/3 left. I *heart* stashbusters!

This felt a LOT softer than what I used on the Dub Bay socks, too, so I think I must've gotten some bum skeins back then. And oh, this colorway is just so. damn. purty. I tried, I really tried to pick out a different shade for my pair, but I kept coming back to this one. And once your mind gets set on something, it's best to just go with it. (Kind of like having a salad when what you really want is a big, fat, juicy steak. Anything else just wouldn't be as satisfying.)

I still wouldn't use it for socks mind you, but these mitts have definitely put Koigu back in favor!


That's a wrap
These were hard to let go of - I was seriously tempted to keep them for myself! But I was kind and generous and gifted them away. And, then, you know, went out and got another skein to make a pair for myself. ;)

Which is a good thing, as they were a big hit with MIL! Not just with her, either - 3 days later, she emailed me to say:

"
When I wear my fingerless gloves, I encounter many envious women. Everybody wants them, including [SIL] who 'would kill' for a pair."

Ah, nothing like the threat of felonious activity to make a knitter feel good.
LMKM
Mitt Envy
Pattern: weezawinged
Yarn: Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino in 106 (~34 grams)
Needles: KP size 1, 32"

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

hmm I missed it., Found you on ravelry traced you to your your fab blog but can't find the Koigu mit pattern. Help! Thanks.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Koigu on the hands? Sounds divine -- no wonder your MIL loved them! I have several skeins of Koigu in the stash that I just can't bring myself to make into socks because I know they'll wear out so fast. Maybe mitts are the answer!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I love Koigu - I made a pair of socks from it last year that have worn really well. Maybe it was just the skein you had? Great pattern though - it would be very nice of you to write it up! Happy New Year!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

The mitts are lovely! I bet you are itching to make another pair for yourself!

11:52 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You are so damn funny--'holifos'!!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe another witty FO post!! Love them! I bet they are so soft too!

Happy New Year!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home