Thursday, December 13, 2007

Happy Hat! Heee...

Lucky 7 Hat
Well lookit that - kick your own ass and a pattern comes out! Wonder what else is in there...

I finally got over my fickle self, kicked my own ass, and boop! Out came this hat! Nothing super spectacular, just a fun little cable-y thing that keeps my noggin nice and toasty.

It's pretty simple and straightforward really, just some cables separated by knits and purls. But I did cross them on the 7th row - and with absolutely no planning or foresight - end up with 7 cables around and 7 cables up, too. Hence the Lucky 7 Hat!

Oh, and I also worked the decreases so the cables would stay the same width all the way to the final cross. Neat, huh!
Lucky 7 Hat
Will the Symmetry Fairy leave a quarter under my pillow now?

The variegated colorway doesn't show off the cables as nicely as a solid would, but it's so happy and cheery, I don't care! And it was WAY more fun to knit than plain ol' rib. I only used about 54 grams of yarn, too, so a pair of couch slippers may come out of the overs.

Last but not least - this tutorial by wendyknits shows a much better way to cable without a cable needle. It's less fiddly than Grumperina's tute, which I used on the Weenie Mitts.

Well, that's about it! Keeps me warm, makes me happy. Good times all around!
Lucky 7 Hat
Lucky 7 Hat
Pattern: weezawinged
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Daffodil (~54 grams)
Needles: H&S rosewood, size 7, 16"

12 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

It's awesome! And I really like it in the handpaint - I think the cables show up quite nicely.

Any chance you are going to write that up, she asks hopefully? :D

12:58 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

May I reiterate Pam's request? The crown is too freakin' cool to not want to try myself. Very cool hat!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I love the way the colorway worked out! You hit lucky 7's with the pooling too, I think. Great looking hat.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I just love it!! The pattern (yeah, I'd love it too!) and the colorway! Go you, you weezawinging knitter!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Cool hat. I actually like the way the yarn pooled/striped.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love it! I would have been completely anal about making the cable all equal and everything, but I probably would have overthought it at the beginning and gotten frustrated and just ended up making a plain rib. So way to go!

4:39 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Rawkin' hat. I third the request for pattern. I love how the cablies go to the top.

Thanks for posting that tutorial--I've been using Grumperina's as well, and it results in many dropped stitches. This one looks better.

6:20 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

great pattern and I love the colors! Great job!

8:02 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

such cheerful colors! and the pooling is less offensive in cabley hat form somehow. i'm impressed.

8:08 AM  
Blogger SuzannaBanana said...

That's an adorable hat. Sometimes the best solution to fickleness is to just forge ahead, indecision be damned.

I read a little bit further down that you're going to knit Starsky. I think you're going to be O.K. with the yardage you have if you shorten it and add waist shaping. I wish I'd done that, and plan to do it on the next one. Knit the size that gives you less than 8 inches of ease - I did, and I like the fit. I think the belt on mine took at least 100 yards, so ditching that will help, too. You might even have enough to do the cables on the back. It was a fun knit.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Very cheery! And I'm sure squishliciously soft too!

3:59 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, cabling w/o a cable needle is such a revelation, isn't it? Love the hat, it's fantastic.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home