Sunday, November 18, 2007

Watch and wear

Marsan Watchcap
Hubster the Marsan.

I finished the Pop Socks on Friday, but they're awaiting a proper wash and block (translation: more...wire...hangers!) before their official debut. In the meantime, here's a quickie I whipped out last night!

As the brim turns
Not a whole lot to say about this one, I pretty much followed the pattern as written. It's very simple, well-written, and smart. She employs a clever technique to keep the ktbls facing outward on the brim - you knit for 4", then turn the work inside out! Seemed a little odd on the initial pattern read-through, but made total sense once I got there.

Marsan Watchcap
Hey, if you move to the right you may just blend into the trees!


I only did two things differently:
  1. At the beginning of the pattern, I passed the last cast-on stitch to the left needle and did a k2tog with the first cast-on stitch. Her pattern says the opposite, which didn't make sense to me. Maybe it's a continental knitting thing? At any rate, it helped smooth out that initial transition so it's less obvious where the beginning of the cast-on is. Definitely a technique I'll use again.
  2. There was a little hole at the turning point, so I picked up a stitch from the back on row 26 and did a p2tog with the last stitch to close it up (kind of like closing up a gusset hole on a sock). That worked beautifully.
Marsan Watchcap
You spin me right round baby, right round...

The nice, big, 4" brim pretty much guarantees a sure fit, and I really like the way the decreases are worked. All the knits save for the first row are ktbls, which are hard on the hands, but well worth it. The hat came out very sharp. Not bad for one evening's worth of knitting time!

After Hubster finished modeling it for the photo shoot, I had to remind him to take it off and give it back to me, as it's not for him. That's always a good sign!

Yaarn
Ah, my standby fave, LL Shepherd Worsted. I made the medium size and used somewhere in the neighborhood of 64 grams.

That's a wrap
Excellent pattern, squooshy soft yarn, and a manly man colorway - I'm sure my best friend's hubby will dig it! And this one definitely earns a spot on the pattern rerun list.

Marsan Watchcap
BFH Camo Watchcap
Pattern: The Marsan Watchcap
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Camouflage (~ 64 grams)
Needles: H&S rosewood 7, 16" + Addi Turbo 7, 16" (2 circs for the crown)

10 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

I never understood the LL love until I had my first skein of the worsted weight...oh mama!

What a great hat!

I was thinking of you today as I was doing some 2X3 ribbing and falling asleep ;-)

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Awesome hat! Love the colorway. :)

6:24 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

LL worsted never disappoints, does it? I'm queueing that pattern, I'd never seen it before!

8:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Great pattern for the yarn! Love the decreases at the crown. Very cool

4:35 AM  
Blogger Eryn said...

That is a manly man hat. I may have to add it to my (ever-longer) list of things to do.

Someday I'll be on Ravelry and be able to toss out "add it to my queue" =P

4:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm quite enamored of the Shepherd Sock, but I've never tried the LL Worsted. Maybe some day when I've actually reduced the size of the stash.

Love how the decreases worked out!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love that hat! Thanks for the link! I have a chocolate skein just waiting for a certain person's new hat pattern.

7:33 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Lovely, darlink!

8:30 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Great hat---so are you going to make one for hubby now? He seems to like the one he's modeling!

8:53 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow! I can't believe you whipped that out in one night! It looks great!

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home