Monday, August 06, 2007

Tinkerhell

So, I started and finished my Anthropologie Shrug last week. Wanna see it?
Cotton Fleece - Magenta
The road to Tinkerhell is paved with good intentions.

Actually, it doesn't even look that good anymore. Now it's wound into a ball surrounded by some unraveled bits lying about in the bag.

Travel with me, won't you, on the road to Tinkerhell:
  1. Conduct experiment to see how far 215 yards will take you.
  2. Adjust cute little shruggy pattern to DK weight (which she makes really easy to do, very clear instructions for converting gauge and measurements in the pattern - rock on!).
  3. Knit while tired for the first two nights. Make one un-correctable mistake per night. Don't realize you made such mistake for oh, about 15 rows. Tink. Curse. Repeat.
  4. Split for sleeves, finish body with a whole three rows of ribbing.
  5. Finish sleeves with just enough yarn to do two piddly rows of ribbing. Towards end of second sleeve, catch a ply while doing sewn bindoff and watch with horror as remaining yarn gets totally, completely jacked up. Curse. Cut. Finish with barely an inch to spare.
  6. Discover what a joke it is to try and "seam" a sleeve that's all of two rows. But do it anyway.
  7. Try on. Laugh ass off as you see it hit mid-boob. Suddenly remember that line from Tommy Boy - "fat guy in a little coat, fat guy in a liiiitle coooat..."

Now I probably could've blocked the living hell out of it and finagled together some creative button/chain type of closure. But really, I've already got a vest that makes me look like a linebacker. Don't really need a shrug to match.

I frogged it back to the sleeve separations with the intention of making it an actual capelet for one of my little nieces. But then I figured, if I'm going to make one of them a capelet, I'd rather make it a little fancier than plain stockinette. Into the seventh level of Tinkerhell we went, all the way back, back, back to the ball.

So, the wearables. Not going so well. I'm planning to try the Glampyre Minisweater next. Let's hope this one fares better. At least I have plenty of yardage! That's a start, right?

7 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee, hee, Fat Guy In a Little Coat!

I do like that shrug, but what really turned me off from your post--seaming two rows?! I can live w/out it!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Auntie Jimbo said...

melocoton = peach!!

Cotton fleece, is she no good? I'm making a baby sweater out of it. Or, I was. I should resume that, the baby will be born in October!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

LOL! But seriously, that's a super bummer.

8:32 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Kath - the yarn is great! Nice to work with, excellent stitch definition, soft and no itchies! The only drawback is that it's not machine washable.

Ah, so instead of a soft, juicy flesh I'm...fuzzy.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

ok I laughed I'm sorry. It sounds awful, when I'm done laughing you'll have my complete sympathy! :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Janelle said...

I had that exact problem doing a sewn bindoff in Cotton Fleece! Sorry it didn't work out for you. Beautiful color, though! BTW, I do machine wash it, in cold water on delicate, and have never had a problem. I know, I'm a rebel.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yeah, it might have grown some. But that's just not worth the agony of trying to put it together.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home