Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Something don't stink in Denmark

Denmark Socks
Fussy, fabulous, and fat-free!

Ah, Denmark. Your flaky, frosting-filled pastries may never cross my lips (except when I'm hormonal). But your socks. Oooooh, your socks. How do I love thee.

The first of what will be many pairs from Knitting on the Road, these Denmark socks got off to a somewhat jilted start. But sometimes, these little setbacks are just what we need to move forward.
Denmark Socks
Nubby nubby nubby in my er...feet.

Nubbin'
The wrappy nubb stitch you see there is only knitted on the first row following the cuff. Which is good, because it was rather awkward for me and I'm not entirely sure I did it correctly. But, since the Nubb SAS has been driven underground, I think I'm safe from their clenches.

Whether I did it correctly or not, it's a cool, interesting detail that really adds something special to the pattern. It's these little touches that make the socks in KoR unique!

You so fussy
The cable cross is done every fourth row, so it's not hugely time consuming. Just a little fussy. My Brittany Birch cable needle made it easy going and I soon got into a groove (try as I might, I simply can't do the cabling-without-a-cable-needle thing, I'm too tight a knitter and the stitches always, always end up dropping).

Overall, the pattern itself is fun to knit and very easy to memorize. I was worried that the stitches would get lost in the variegation, but it's actually strong enough to hold its own! (That being said, I would advise against using a colorway with high levels of contrast. Cables are too much work to hide!)

Itty bitty mods
I did very few mods on this pattern. In fact, they're not even mods, just minor adjustments: a) knitted 10 rows of the cuff before the nubb instead of 11, b) picked up 15 stitches for the gusset instead of 14 (and did a k2tog on the instep to close the hole), c) knitted 1 row of stockinette before the toe instead of 3, and d) kitchenered 24 stitches together instead of 16 (me no like a pointy pointy toe).
Denmark Socks
I sense something is amiss...

Oop!
I made a mistake design feature in the toe. Can you find it?

Hubster put on the Espy awards while I was finishing these off. The overwhelming stench of pairing actors/singers/various Hollywrati with athletes and having them present awards on stage while reading badly-written jokes and then following it with some lame MC Hammer/Bobbi Brown spoof (timely) was so horrifyingly awful, I was trying to put myself out of my misery by poking my Addi in my eye. Hence, I lost my place and did the wrong decrease at the very end of this sock. You can see that last ssk leaning left, defying all the k2togs that came before it. I didn't notice it until after the kitchener, so there it will live on forever (or until I wear them out).
Denmark Socks
We must be going through the change.

Yaaarn
This is Cider Moon Glacier in Hot Flash. Love the bright colors, but it was the name that hooked me. I mean, really - how can you resist something called Hot Flash! Especially at my age. But that's beside the point.

This yarn is loooooo-vely. Really soft, almost silky as it flows through your fingers. And lookit those colors! Just lookit them! Bright, strong, and gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. The dye came off a little bit on my hands and turned my cable needle a reddish hue, so I held my breath a bit when it was time to soak them. It left behind a fair amount of tint in the Euculan bath, but the color held true once dry. No fading whatsoever and very little fuzzing. Yay!

It's a heavier sport weight, so the socks went by that much faster, even knitting them up on a much smaller needle than suggested (1.5 instead of 4). I was eyein' the ever-diminishing balls of yarn as I got closer to the toe, but the yardage worked out just fine. It helps that I prefer a shorter leg! (Note: there was enough left over that two, maybe even three more leg repeats would have worked out as well.)

On, they're warm, snuggly, and a pleasure to wear. Here, let me enable you! Check out their website directly, or find them where I did, at The Loopy Ewe (warning: proceed with caution - and credit card in hand).

That's a wrap
I love these socks! The cabley crosses are funky cool, the yarn is snuggly soft, and the colors are bright and fun. Denmarks for everyone!
Denmark Socks
Denmark Socks

Pattern: Knitting on the Road
Yarn: Cider Moon Glacier in Hot Flash
Needles: Addi Turbos in size 1.5, 32" & 40" + one small Brittany Birch cable needle
Mods: A row less here, a kitchener more there

7 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Very nice! Now don't wear them on a hot day or something WILL stink in Denmark! (If your feet are anything like my feet). I will end this now as it has veered into the realm of TMI.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Oh, those are beautiful! They are completely not "my" colors, but I love them together. That's a great pattern, too. I've got to remember that one.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I absolutely love them!!! That will definitely be on my list when my KOTR arrives from the deepest depths of backorder.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Gorgeous socks, beautifully displayed! I knit a pair of Denmarks about a year ago, and they're still one of my favourites. They're just a trifle fussy, but well worth the effort.

5:46 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

they look great. i have that book but i always forget about it. i think i've only knit one pair from it. oh yeah, it was the canada socks and i hated them. now i remember why i never use that book.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Those socks are beautiful in Hot Flash! Until you mentioned them, I'd never even heard of Cider Moon, and now I have their site bookmarked and am riffling through my wallet in search of my much-abused credit card.

Who knew one pair of socks could do so much damage to a person's iron resolutions?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely socks!!! I the yarn (different colorway), book, and needles...definately on my queue!
Love your post too! :)

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home