Saturday, June 23, 2007

This one's on the house

Today, I channeled my inner Spiderwoman.

A couple of shingles had come loose on a particularly steep portion of our roof. Due to the incline, Hubster wasn't able to get to it, so it fell to me. Since actually falling wasn't on my list of to-dos for today, he fashioned up a Mission Impossible-like harness with some black rope so I could shimmy down and hammer those suckers back in.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it (which you have to, even if you don't want to)...

This is all that kept me from sliding down to an ER trip!

If you let go, I'm going to be really annoyed...

It was a little terrifying, but I did it! Whoo hoo! Victory is mine!
I live!

Screw that fall-backwards-and-catch-me test! If you really want to gauge your level of trust, fix the roof with your significant other!

I also changed out a light bulb in one of our ceiling fixtures and pruned a tall, half-dead tree on our front sidewalk, all the way up to the tips. Man, that ladder got a workout today!

Sadly, today's highs were brought to a crushing low about an hour ago. I was on the cuffs of my Dragonslayer socks and tried one of them on to see how the cuff pattern would look on. Can you guess what happened?

That's right! The &*%$ing legs won't go over my heel. GAAAH! I was *this* close to finishing! Double GAAAH!

So, now I have to frog back five 14-row repeats -- on each sock -- and either re-knit the legs on larger needles, or increase the number of stitches on the back (I can't increase on the front, since the pattern carries through from the foot and instep).

Crap on a stick.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I think someone pissed in the cereal of the Knitting Goddesses. Everything I have worked on this week has turned to crap.

Socks don't go over heels....

Socks stretched beyond all reason...

Sweaters that end up with a collar that will cause a wardrobe malfuction if the wind is right...

It's crazy...don't worry...your not the only one.

P.S. I didn't touch the cereal...but I may if this keeps up

8:40 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Wow, you're so cool! Evidence that women can do anything, including going up on roofs and fixing 'em. Rosie the Riveter has nothing on you.

Too bad about the socks. I hate it when that happens.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I love the way that you kept with your no-face post rule in that picture of you conquering the roof!

You've brought back great childhood memories of when Dad would fix the shingles on the roof and take one of us kids up with him. So much fun!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh man. Stupid socks. ;) Congrats on scaling the roof. There's the gym in town that I might join when I get a job that has a huge rock climbing area. You should try that out! :)

12:41 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Go you!!! Queen of the Roof!
Bummer about the socks though!

4:04 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh, that sucks bout the socks. i just messed up spicy's pair as well. i wasn't concentrating and screwed up the heel and now i don't have the will to rip back and fix it.

i hate wasted effort. *sigh*

9:00 AM  
Blogger SuzannaBanana said...

Right on, sister! I'm not sure home-fashioned rigging would have been enough to get me to swing down my roof. Do you have your own tool belt yet? It's quite empowering.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home