Friday, June 15, 2007

Mom's the word.

I stayed up late to finish Outlander (thanks again for the RAK YArNKNiTa!), which I started on Sunday and couldn't put down all week. Then I couldn't sleep because my teeth hurt (they're thenthitive). So when I finally dropped off, it was somewhere around 3 am.

Well, imagine the thrill I felt a mere five hours later, when from the depths of a dead sleep I awaken to the sound of a child SCREAMING bloody murder. I bolted awake, threw on my robe, ran into the living room, and tore the front door open. When my eyes focused, I could see a child, I'd guess around 8ish, standing across the street and tantrum crying at the TOP of his lungs (I don't have kids yet, but one can generally tell the difference between that and a cry of distress). His father was standing next to him, calmly trying to discuss something with the child (although I'd be surprised if the kid could hear anything past what was coming from his lungs).

Not the best way to wake up on any day, let alone after just five hours' sleep. And once you've had the freaking bejeezus scared out of you, bed is pretty much useless. Then, about ten minutes ago, I spilled coffee all over my leg and my desk. *sigh, fingers massaging temples*

I was about to think this day was doomed when I got an adorable e-card from my mom with an even more adorable message:

Happy bithday to you!
hope you have a wonderful happy birthday!
I wish I could be there celebrate with you,
make you nice dinner. sorry! my daughter.
I love you so much.
love, mom

Nothing like some Mom to make everything better. And the "make you nice dinner" part set off a five-minute giggle spat. :) Now, with a smile on my face, I think I'll go flop on the couch, watch a movie, take a nap, and knit for the rest of the day. Ahhhhhhh, now that's a birthday.

7 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

awwww, happy birthday! here's hoping that the rest of your day is better than the way it started.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Sorry it started with such an adrenaline rush!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Sounds like you got some gray hair ala the neighbor kid, great!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Happy Birthday! I thought it was a dream..yikes!!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Happy Birthday! You know, you share a birthday with my mom. It's a good day.

That kid deserves a few serious words. The scream that makes any woman jump up and storm out the door should only be reserved for real emergencies. We're hard-wired to respond to it, and it should never be used lightly, i.e. if it isn't a matter of life and death or at least serious injury!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh shoot, Happy Belated Birthday!! I would have gone nuts if some kid across the street screaming woke me up. I hope your birthday weekend is going better! :D

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Beleted Birthday!!!!

Yeah, I should have warned you about that book. I also probably shouldn't mention that there are five (and counting) more books in the series.

*evil grin*

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home