Sunday, June 03, 2007

Down with Bounty


It's the knitter picker-upper!

I admit, we're paper towel wasters. We buy them in bulk and go through them like water. We have a couple of kitchen towels, but for some reason, always turn to the roll. It was time to stem the paper tide.

Enter the Ballband Dishcloth!

Carry on. Just not well.

This is an excellent pattern for a) nocturnal knitting (you're tired, know that it's not a good idea to but still want to knit, therefore need a project that is both mindless and unaffected by varying gauge), and b) bright and blinding cheapass cotton.

It's a ho project - quick and easy - and yes, my gauge throughout is all over the place. And, as you can see in the pic above, my ability to carry yarn up the sides is...sporadic. But it's a dishcloth, so who the hell cares!

Hangin', man.

Gotta mod
I did two extra repeats to make this more kitchen towel length than dishcloth. To keep it within easy reach, I also added a little hanging loop. I was going to make it with i-cord, but blech, I hate making i-cord. So I just braided three strands together, poked 'em through a corner, and tied the ends together. Took about two minutes, with much less cursing the paint off the walls.

That's a wrap
It's so bright and summery! Hopefully, we'll be much more motivated to use this than those bland kitchen towels. Maybe save a tree or two.

I have about half a ball of playtime and most of the yellow left, as well as some leftover orange from the Saturday Market Bag. We'll have to see how it actually performs, but if it manages to survive my kitchen, I sense more of these will follow!

The Knitter Picker-Upper
Pattern: Ballband Dishcloth
Yarn: Sugar-n-Cream in Playtime and Yellow
Needle: Addi Turbo size 7, 16"
Mods: Added two repeats and a hanging loop
Lesson learned: Knit to save the earth!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nicely done. I always think about how quickly we go through paper products. It's a little scary!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Yeah I cut out our paper towel consumption too because it was getting too expensive. I never thought to knit dishcloths as kitchen towels though. I don't like using washcloths (I'm a sponge girl) but I love me a good kitchen towel! I might have to steal this idea!

3:07 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Brilliant! I buy recycled paper towels, but it's still a lot of waste, and like Bezzie, I love kitchen towels. Only most of the towels you buy at the store aren't all that absorbent, for some reason. This may just be the ticket.

Besides, the colors you pick just make me smile. There's nothing like a splash of happy color in the kitchen. Particularly when it's all gray and drizzly and New England-y out here.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a great idea ti knit them as towels! I love your blue socks too.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

awesome dishcloth. You'll be converted, they are fun to knit and really work well.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Niiiiiiiiice! My mama wanted some dishcloths, and this is the first one I've seen that I really like... I'll have to grab some cotton this weekend!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home