Sunday, April 08, 2007

My yard tried to kill me

As much as we were looking forward to being known as that house with the ugly-ass yard filled with freakishly large crops of dandelions, I couldn't take it anymore. And it was getting to the point where I couldn't even avert my eyes. They were everywhere. Ev.ery.where.

So, Saturday I opened up a can of whup ass on Satan's flowers. And let me tell you, we did not have your everyday, average, run-of-the-mill dandelions either. Ohhhhhh no. These were freakin' goverment research dandelions. It took about three hours to get rid of them all - mind you, our front yard is pretty small - but we no longer look like we're one step away from a rusted car on cinderblocks as lawn decor. I'm sure the neighbors are relieved we're not depreciating the value of our block, too.

(By the way - when you were a kid, if you ever thought dandelions were fluffy and pretty and ran around the yarn blowing that white fluff into the air with glee, call your parents now and apologize for doing that to them.)

Today I celebrated the bunny holiday by breaking up the growing patches of dirt in between the green stuff laughingly trying to masquerade as grass. Cheapass chick tilling - me and a hand rake. Some weed-and-feed followed in a last ditch attempt to see if we can actually grow something on purpose. Then I proceeded to the back yard (heh, I just typed in "yarn" instead of "yard"), where I sprayed some kill-anything-with-roots, as it is beyond help. It's a good thing we're not ready for kids yet, because I'm pretty sure that stuff made me sterile.

I'm sure you're all fascinated by my engrossing tales of lawn work, but this was all a lead up to the sad fact that I did absolutely no knitting this weekend. Because I'm one giant ad for Salonpas (or I would be if I could get past that menthol-y smell). From neck to toes, everything is sore. A difficult sacrifice (and unplanned - who knew gardening was a full contact sport), but it feels good to look out the window and not want to run screaming from my own house.

Doesn't mean I can't frog, though - I decided to re-stash the Newsboy Cap until this fall. Even if I did manage to find the black hole into which all size 10, 16" Addis have gone and finish the hat this week, it wouldn't get much wear before the weather turned warm.

After seeing Chickenknits' fab new dishcloth, I picked up some Sugar-n-Cream yarn and may do some of those this week instead. That'll be a good no-gauge-required project to knit until my arms and hands (and back and neck...) fully recover from the dandelion killin'.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! You sound like my FIL. Dandelions are his sworn enemy. I don't mind 'em yet. It's not my crappy ass lawn down there. Ha ha, blow away neighbor kids, blow away!

5:33 AM  
Blogger Wannabe said...

Seriously. I love reading your blog. You make me laugh SO hard. :)
Satan's flowers...bwahahahhahaha

7:44 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Sounds like you and me had a very similar weekend...I am aching in places that I didn't know could ache. But yeap, I am sure that I have added ££££££s to the local property prices

10:04 AM  
Blogger SuzannaBanana said...

I used to love to blow dandelions. I also loved to pull the seeds off the weeds, the ones that looked like propellers poking up above the grass. I wish I'd known then...

But good for you! You conquered!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home