Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Pithy the fool

Thank you everyone for the kudos on my first sock! Quite a few people have asked about the pattern and yarn. And I'll tell you...sometime between now and Friday. (Side note to turtlegirl - nice use of the the phrase "willy nilly" btw!)

Okay, okay, I'll give one detail away now - the yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in colorway Georgetown. The rest will be revealed in the write-up, which, since I've already got the second sock underway, I expect will be coming by the end of the week. I know, I know, I'm a tease. And you love it. In the meantime...


Mmmm...tea. Love tea. When I'm out of coffee anyway.

Here at long last is the Mary Jane Pithy Hat! I actually finished this a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to snapping the pics until this weekend. This hat was what I'd call an Amanda (a'la Melrose Place - love to hate her). If you remember, I had some serious starter issues, which you can read more about here.

Shortly after that post, I discovered that when every other stitch is a yo, dpns - yeah, not a good idea. Before I switched back over to circs, I tried it on again, and of course it was too small. So I frogged, then cut the yarn and started from a fresh point in the ball, having come to the conclusion that all the beginning yarn had been cursed by some evil tink troll. (Had there been some sage lying around, believe me, I would have burned it.)

Starting anew, I decided to use 6s instead of 4s for the ribbing and I think (forgot to jot down the notes and too lazy to go back and count) cast on about 4 extra stitches than the pattern called for. This gave the band a less snug fit, which I prefer for this type of hat. Since it sits back on the head, a tight band would have shifted constantly. A slightly looser fit helps it hang better with no need for constant fidgeting.

After the ribbing, I went out and got me some Clover 10.5 circs and filed down the tips to lethal weapon points, which made both switching up from the 6s and knitting the purse stitch MUCH easier (there's a whole lotta ktbls in this pattern).

Once I got going, it was a little monotonous but smooth sailing for the most part. In the beginning, I did drop a stitch once or twice and had to tink it back to the ribbing, having no idea how to pick them back up. After a couple of inches, however, I was able to read the knitting and with lifelines every five rows as back up, was able to pick up with ease when I dropped a stitch towards the end.

A closer look at the purse stitch.

The pattern says to knit for 10-11 inches if you want a looser fit, 8" for more of a headhugger. I'm not sure whose head they're measuring, or maybe it was was no gauge listed in the free pattern, but even 8" would have hung halfway between my shoulder blades. I stopped after about 5" and it was perfect. I'm pretty sure I missed a k2tog somewhere in the last row, but after threading the yarn through pulling it tight, you can't even tell.

In spite of the many issues I had in the beginning, I'm really glad I stuck with it and finished this hat. Perseverance really paid off - I love how it turned out!


Yarn notes: I used Artyarns Supermerino in a varigated but subtle red/orange/yellow colorway, which shows off the pattern nicely. The Supermerino frogs well, this I know after extensive involuntary testing. That aside, it's lovely to knit with and the stitch definition is excellent. It also held up very well after a dunk in the Euculan with little to no fuzzing or pilling afterwards. (The yarn is machine washable, but the stitch pattern is most definitely not!) I've worn it a couple of times since and there is a small, occasional itch factor, but it's minimal enough for this type of hat. Oh, and note that this is a nice two-skein project - less than two skeins actually, I had about a third of a ball leftover.

After I finished the hat, I donned and modeled it for Hubster and he immediately asked for one in rasta colors. I paused and said "Seriously?" I love him to pieces, but uh, let's just say I wasn't seeing it. Right after I took these pics on Sunday, I asked him again if he really wanted one, then had him try it on. One glance in the mirror was all it took to convince him that it was not really his style. I don't think I've ever seen him remove a piece of clothing that fast. And trust me, that's saying something.


*$!&^+) Pithy Hat
Pattern: LTK Mary Jane Pithy Hat
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino in #135
Needles: Holz & Stein ebony 6, 24" + modified Clover 10.5, 16"
Mods: Larger needles and fewer inches
Lesson learned: Sometimes, you just have to break on through to the other side.

6 Comments:

Blogger stacyZ said...

I freaking LOOOVE IT!!!!

9:16 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh love the yarn you chose for it! I printed this pattern out ages ago (not the least because of the name of the source - I'll admit) and have been meaning to make it. I'll have to think about it for a Christmas Gift. Maybe for my cousin. hmm....

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT HAT.
i cant knit though
its sad.
ive tried.
but i was wondering
can i buy one somewhere?
email me if possible if i can
superstar-carwash@hotmail.com
id appreciate it!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I realize this post is nearly a year old but I was wondering if you remember what increase you used for this hat? The pattern says to use your favorite, but I don't have a favorite! Would knitting through the front and back of the stitch work or is there something better to use?
Thanks so much for your help, I love how your hat came out!
coffeesoup@gmail.com

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that hat! i've been thinking to make a red one similar, could you send me the pattern?(the page didn't open on my internet) if you could, my email is liberty417@hotmail.com. Nice work!

libby

1:05 PM  
Blogger PumaChick85 said...

Hey Girl..

WOOOOW!!!! I loved the hat.. I tried to check the pattern but does not work, could you please please please mail to me.. here's my e-mail pumachick85@gmail.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Tons of kudos!! lovedddd itttt...

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home