Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Taking cover

One of the things I love about sewing is that you can make something so much cuter and SO much cheaper than retail! Like this nursing cover!

I used this tutorial as a guideline, but made it with a softer, lighter cotton fabric and slightly larger dimensions (I think, it's been a month or so since I made it).
nursingcover3
Being a newbie at this whole mom thing, I figured the odds of accidentally flashing total strangers was pretty high while nursing in public. This cover should help to avoid that! And the boning at the top allows for ventilation so GirlPod doesn't get a sweltery when we're out and about during the summer. Also helps me keep an eye on her. Because she'll have half of Hubster's genes as well and he's a troublemaker, that one. ;)

One tip - get the boning that has a bit of extra fabric at the edges. I got the kind that was closely encased and broke a needle when it went through the boning itself.

A little preview of how it'll look in use. :)
nursingcover2
Some of these go for upwards of $35 retail! Cost to make it myself? Probably around $7. And it only took an hour or so. I love being a crafty bitch. ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Super cute, and I can tell you from experience that it'll come in handy! Unfortunately, my daughter ended up being more interested in the fabric cover than the boob, so it was challenging to use it without flashing someone (even though mine was definitely big enough to cover up).

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I see your face! Hello! Being a crafty bitch is awesome, and good for the wallet. :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe...it's so much fun making stuff tons cheaper too! I used to make the kids summer shorts out of remnant bin fabrics. As many as they used and for sometimes under $2 or so, score!

Oh, yeah, that is an awesome apron..I sure coulda used something like that a few times :)

5:18 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love it! Go crafty bitches!

6:24 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

The boning is a great idea!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This is much cuter than the commercial black one I saw someone using last weekend!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home