Thursday, January 13, 2011

Twofer Thursday

Next up on the Christmas gift catch-up, two small projects that I'm too lazy I don't have enough to say about to split into two posts. :P

A hat for SIL's husband (would that make him my brother-in-law once removed?)
JCHat2
This is the Jacques Cousteau hat. Very easy pattern, and it makes for a nice dude hat! I only made a few mods - used a heavier weight yarn and larger needles, and knit for 7" before starting the decreases. BIL liked it and should get a lot of use out of it.

But what I really enjoyed about this hat was the yarn - Malabrigo Rios. O.M.G., I looooove this yarn. It's unbelievably soft, wonderful to work with, with no runoff in the soak or pilling afterwards. I have a little less than half a skein left over, hopefully enough to eke out a cowl. I also got some for Christmas and can't wait to make a sweater out of it!
JCHat1
BIL-Once-Removed Hat
Pattern: Jacques Cousteau Hat
Yarn: Malabrigo Rios in Playa, a little over half a skein
Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in Size...um...7 or 8? One of the those.
Mods: Heavier weight yarn, larger needles, 7" before starting the crown decreases

And a stocking for FIL
Stocking
FIL's existing stocking was one of those red furry drugstore things that had seen better days (you can see it hanging next to the blue stocking in the second BIL hat pic above), so MIL asked me to knit him a new one. No mods, pretty much followed the pattern - which had some typos in it, but was easy to follow - to the letter. All I did was duplicate stitch his name on afterwards.

That's pretty much it for that one! It was a pain to knit, all that yarn twisting about, and working cables in two colors sucked, but I'm happy with how it turned out in the end. And FIL seemed to like it. But please, next time I decide to take on a colorwork stocking one week before Christmas, feel free to smack me upside the head.
FIL Christmas Stocking
Pattern: Lion Brand Christmas Stocking
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool in Bright Red and Emerald + Lion Brand Wool Ease in 301 White/Multi
Needle: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in Size 7
Mods: Duplicate stitched on FIL's name

6 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

cool stocking! and that rios looks lovely and warm.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I still haven't tried Rios, but I've heard only good things about it. Both of your gifts turned out really nicely. I haven't made any stockings, but I'll have to remember the pattern you used, if I ever get the urge.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the hat! And the stocking was a brave undertaking - it turned out really cool!

9:50 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

I'm impressed with your skills and guts. A colorwork stocking right before Christmas? Awesome!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wait a minute, you knit a colorwork stocking with cables a week before Christmas while in your first trimester? That's some kind of craziness, girl!

5:53 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Love the mods on the Jacques Cousteau hat! And that stocking is pretty kick ass. You knit that in a week? Wow!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home