Friday, January 21, 2011

First quilt preview

Here's a little sneaky peek at my very first quilting project:
Quiltpeek
It's a lap quilt! This was the planning stage, when I was deciding how to lay out all the prints (yeah, I know there's a lot of them, but dammit, I loved them all too much). I'm almost done with the quilt top, I just need to add the border. I was going to go all one fabric for the backing, but apparently I suck at math and didn't get enough fabric. :P So I'm going to try something a little more fun instead, using the extra fat quarters that were in the bundle.

Then I just have to put it all together, eeeek! I should probably practice binding and finishing on something smaller, but I'm too excited to finish this up and use it before it gets too warm. I'm most nervous about the actual quilting - should I keep it simple and stitch in the ditch? Go with diagonal lines? Try to make Xs? Thoughts?

5 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh very sneaky! i thought quilting might be up your alley what with all the anal retentive attention to detail that it requires. and i mean that in a loving way.

SITD is harder than you think it would be. i'd go with straight line quilting of some sort. you can always use painter's tape to make sure you're stitching in a straight line. and definitely use your walking foot.

free motion is more fun if you are ultra brave. if you go that route, i'd try it first on something small.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I've only done straight lines so far. Some of mine aren't entirely straight, but I like how it's coming out. FMQ is next on my list to try, but I agree with Sara; a small trial is best. Your quilt top looks amazing so far! Yay for vibrant AB and Alexander Henry fabrics.

9:45 AM  
Blogger princessquiltandknitalot said...

The fabric is so pretty so your quilting can be simple. Stitch in the ditch will be easiest for a beginner. Make sure you pin a lot so it lays flat. Basting spray works well too but I do not know if the odor us safe for baby? Good luck! I enjoy your blog!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

Hee hee! Whatever you do finish it quick before you don't have a lap anymore!

I wish I could give advice on how to quilt it, but I chickened out and hand quilted my first one!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Love the bright colors! I have yet to try the quilting thing but fabrics like that make me wonder...

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home