Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Happy Meilee

I promise you two sock FO posts then disappear for a week. I know, I suck. Here, let me soothe the pain.
Meilee1
Aren't they purty? With these socks, it's really just about the math:

"Honeybee with Faggoting" stitch pattern from BW Treasury #2 + Sport-weight Toe-up Sock with Gusset Heel pattern by Wendy Knits + Twisted rib cuff + Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off + Yarntini Semi-solid Sport in Fuzzy Navel = SHINY!
Meilee4
First, let's talk about the Honeybee. I have serious mad love for this stitch pattern. It's so much fun to knit! If you don't happen to have BW Treasury #2 handy, you can find it in a few different sock patterns, including the top-down Kai-Mei from Sock Innovation or freebie toe-up Honeybee Socks from Socken-Kreativ-Liste Yahoo Group.

I did modify the faggoting on the sides so they would mirror each other, but visually, you really can't tell. Mentally, though, I find the symmetry comforting. What can I say, I'm anal. But you knew that already.
Meilee3
Now let's get to the construction. I've done a toe-up, no pick-up gusset flap once before, waaaaay back when on my very first pair of socks in October '06. Thought I'd give it another whirl.

Unfortunately, like my high school hairdo, some things really should stay in the past. Don't get me wrong, the pattern is very well-written, and not having to pick up stitches? ALL kinds of fabulous. But the fit? Not so much. Even though I cut the gusset short by a few rows/stitches, it's still kind of loose, and the inverted pyramid flap just doesn't snug up well to my skinny heels. *sigh* Ah, well. Like the Sunday Swing Socks, this will just have to be another lesson learned. Man, I hope school lets out soon. All this learnin' is killing me!
Meilee2
But I did learn something new with these socks that didn't hurt - Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off. AWE.SOME. It super easy to knit and leaves an almost decorative finish. Best of all, it's nice and stretchy without being floppy. Love it! This will be my new go-to bindoff for toe-up socks, fingerless mitts, and top-down hats!

Yarn Thoughts
This is Yarntini Semi-Solid Sport in Fuzzy Navel. I haven't knit true sport weight socks before, so I was a tad nervous about the yardage, even for my elfin feet. While I naturally ended up with less overage than usual (you should see my sock overs jar, it overfloweth!), there was a comfortable margin left over.

The yarn itself gets a big thumbs up - nice, tight twist, a bit of sheen, and oh-so-soft! It also held up well to multiple froggings, left only the faintest hint of a tint in the soak, and showed very little halo afterwards. I have two more skeins of this in the stash, and can't wait to knit them up!

Yarntini has jumped around a bit from etsy to her own site over the past couple of years, but it looks like she's now officially parked at etsy. Her next shop update is this Sunday if you want to keep an eye out.

Wrap it up
I love the look and feel of these! It's a shame the fit is so loose around the heel, even after a run in the dryer. That won't keep me from wearing them, though. And I am SO going to knit this stitch pattern again. But next time, maybe in a fingering weight with a short row heel that's already proven to fit. 'Cause sometimes, learnin' ain't so good.
Meilee5
Meilee Socks
Pattern: "Honeybee with Faggoting" from BW Treasury #2 + Sport-weight Toe-up Sock with Gusset Heel by Wendy Knits +Twisted rib cuff + JSSBO
Yarn: Yarntini Semi-solid Sport, 1 skein in Fuzzy Navel
Needle: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in size 2.5, 32"
Mods: Mirrored faggoting on sides, cut the heel short by a few rows/stitches

13 Comments:

Anonymous daniel said...

Wow- those are totally gorgeous!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I freakin love the color. Awesome! Your socks always look so lovely.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

wow, those are seriously awesome socks!! the colour, the pattern- just gorgeous!!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Walden said...

Love them! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! The color is perfect also.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

What a glorious orange! The socks are lovely. That is a pretty stitch pattern, and I do love honeybees. That would be pretty on the back of a mitt.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Gorgeous!!! Hehe.. You can use JSSBO on just about anything...a sweater...(well I did frog it though, not cause of the bindoff cause of the fit!)

I love the stitch patterns! Just awesome! Bummer on the heel though! :(

7:35 PM  
Blogger mooncalf said...

Ace! I'm loving orange at the moment. So sunny and cheerful :D

2:07 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I am not an orange person at all, but I am in love with these socks!

5:27 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Orange! I hear orange. And the socks are so pretty!

I also love how Fernie photobombed most of your shots. Hee.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Kaye said...

Love them! And what Chemgrrl said! I think Fernie's in love with your socks! Orange attraction!

5:43 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Someday, I'm going to steal those socks.

3:20 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

yeah i like that stitch pattern too. there's always the honeybee cardigan or the knee highs from IK awhile back.

i really like the orange (and i'm not even a big orange fan)

12:16 PM  
Anonymous 4rx said...

I just love these ones, the color and the design is so so good.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home