Friday, June 25, 2010

Wednesday to Friday

They're creepy and they're kooky
Something something ooky

La la la la mooky

The Addams Family

Duh duh duh dum *snap* *snap*

Wednesday Socks 1
When you knit with black yarn, you need a pattern that pops. These Wednesday Socks certainly fit the bill!

It's a gorgeous pattern that uses four different charts to create two different cable patterns, both with completely different row counts. So yes, you'll need to focus like a gravedigger hiding a body during a full moon on this one. But as you can see, the results are well worth the effort.
Wednesday Socks 4
The designer, Emily Johnson of the Family Trunk Project, did a great job writing up the pattern. While I personally found it easier to think of the twists as cables instead, her instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
Wednesday Socks 3
The ribbon cables on the front are just spectacular, and it's so fun to see them come together! I also love how the side cables mirror each other, and how they continue down the heel flap.

These were definitely not a quick and mindless knit, and I won't be knitting tiny cables in black yarn on itty bitty needles again anytime soon, but I do highly recommend the pattern!
Wednesday Socks 2
Yarn thoughts

This is the much-lusted after tosh sock in the colorway of Port. It knits up nicely and has a soft, sproingy hand, although there were quite a few places where it was slightly unspun and uneven
.

The colorway, however, was no disappointment. Very rich, deep, and dark with hints of wine. Everything you want in a shaded solid. And - happy day! - absolutely no ruboff while knitting! My hands stayed dye-free. If you've knit with a black colorway before, you know this is no easy task. So big, big thumbs up to madelinetosh on that front.


I can't say whether the dye runs off in the soak or how the yarn wears, as these are a gift and they're waiting 'til fall for their initial bath. But overall, it was a lovely yarn to knit with.


Wrap it up

The look, feel, and Addams Family origins of this pattern mesh so well with this deep, dark, and mysterious colorway. It's definitely a knit you need to focus on, but well worth the effort. As is the friend they'll be gifted to this fall. :) Until then, they'll be waiting camped out in the closet. Hopefully not making trouble with the other monsters in there.

Wednesday Socks 5
Wednesday Socks
Pattern:
by Emily Johnson of the Family Trunk Project
Yarn:
tosh sock, 1 skein in Port
Needles:
HiyaHiya Stainless Steel Circs, Size 1, 32"
Mods:
As usual, decreased the toe slightly differently.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jacey said...

I've been dying to try both the yarn and the designer. Emily Johnson has some gorgeous projects. Also, thanks to you, I've definitely got that theme song in my head now. :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Very cool! I don't know if I'd have the patience to do all of that cabling though.

5:09 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Very nice. Must add this yarn to my stash.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow...knitting with black yarn..pokey my eyes out! They are gorgeous!!!

7:29 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

cool socks! very nice.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very nice socks - I love Tosh Sock and that's a great colorway (I need to find some!). I love this pattern and its been on my list for some time - after seeing yours though I think I need to move it up the queue.

4:48 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

oooh those socks are so awesome! Gorgeous!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Awesome! As a huge fan of the Addams Family and black clothes, I approve. Spooky in just the right way.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great socks! I so do not have the attention span for anything that requires multiple charts and multiple row counts at once, but I do love the look of these.

I have to agree with your assessment of the Tosh Sock. The colorways are beautiful, but the base seems kind of inconsistent to me.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Those socks are exquisite! They are so intricate. Congratulations on completing such a complicated pattern!

Oh, and do let us know how the yarn wears!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home