Monday, June 28, 2010

A tale of two stitch counts

Tale #1 - Wanida from Sock Innovation at 64 stitches:
Sock Tale 1

Tale #2 - Sunday Swing from knitty modded up to 60 stitches:
Sock Tale 2

Isn't it amazing how you can completely change the look of a sock just by changing the stitch count? (BTW, this is Destination Yarn's Sock Yarn Postcards in Copenhagen. Gorgeous at any stitch count!)

Now normally, I wouldn't mind the flashing that takes place in Sock 1. In fact, I would love it. And I have to say, I am totally digging the stripes in Sock 2.

But the look I *really* want is this (special thanks to knittingnonstop for allowing me to borrow her pic!):
knittingnonstopcopenhagen

Perusing the projects page on Rav, it seems there are a few knitters who have managed this look at 64 stitches on size 1 needles, but for some reason, mine tends to flash instead (must have me a pervy sock ;)).

Hmmmm. Perhaps I need to go toe-up to see how many stitches it'll take to reach the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop achieve this variegated-yet-non-flashing look. Think it'll be more stitches or less?
Take a guess!

9 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

Wow! This is crazy! It really does look like three different yarns. I love all the looks and have a hard time picking a favorite.

4:00 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I actually really like the first one. It looks like it should be wearing a vest and a 70s mustache, but I think that's part of its charm.

4:08 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

I am going to have to rethink swatching for socks- something I never do!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I have this colorway too! Gosh, I'm thinking toe up too. You better watch out for that pervy sock yarn now missy! ;)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Somehow I think it's not the number of stitches but the size of the stitches that matters. Like I wonder if you took a loose knitter and a tight knitter and had them knit a sock with the same number of stitches -- think it'd look different?

5:22 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I would guess less stitches. It's gorgeous in all three pictures, though, so you really can't go wrong!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

I see what you mean about the lovely stripes -- but both of your socks also are pretty. There's no ugly pooling (which drives me crazy!).

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Its amazing what 4 stitches can do - the socks are so different! I think the last picture has more stitches - they look sort of loose. Good luck figuring it out (and beautiful colorway!)

4:01 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

What pretty colors! At first I thought more stitches would make for narrower "stripes" but your 2 sock swatches argue differently. I wonder if each color averages the same number of stitches, and then if you could figure out how not to make them stacked up using math, knowing how many stitches produce an arc of so many degrees of the circle. I'm going to have to experiment. Luckily, I'm a scientist and expected to do so. ;)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home