Tuesday, May 11, 2010

YAHR like a girl

Because every baby girl wants to be a Viking. Right?
YAHRGirl Hat
My favorite baby hat pattern, now with braids! I can't even begin to tell you how much more squeeable this was in person than it looks in this picture. Just when I thought the boy Viking Hat couldn't get any cuter, adding braids for a girl? Even better!

YAHRGirl Hat
Pattern:
Viking Hat
Needle:
HiyaHiya Interchangeables in size 7
Yarn:
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Chocolate and Pewter + Wool Ease in Fisherman + Cotton Ease in Banana Split
Mods:
Sized it down slightly, added braids

And of course, as a Viking Girl, she's gotta have great pair of shoes.

YAHRGirl Booties 2
I used
this pattern for seamless baby booties worked from the bottom up as a guide, but worked the sole in garter stitch. I also tweaked the short-row shaping for the instep slightly, skipping the wrap and closing the last two gaps with decreases as follows:

Knit short rows as written to 36 stitches, ending with a purl row but do NOT wrap stitch.

Next row: K6, SSK, K to end (back of bootie). 35 stitches.

Next row: Knit to gap, K2tog, knit to end. 34 stitches.


Aren't they cute? I wasn't able to attend, but I was told both the hat and booties were a huge hit at the shower on Saturday. I can't wait to see them on my future first-cousin-once-removed-in-law!
(Try making a Hallmark card for that!)
YAHRGirl Booties 1
YAHRGirl Uggs

Pattern:
Baby Booties Without Seams + Suede Baby Booties detailing
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Chocolate + Plymouth Heaven in white

Needles:
HiyaHiya Interchangeables in size 4 + 5

Mods: Knit the sole in garter, close final gaps on instep differently

12 Comments:

Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

That pattern has been in my queue for a while. I never thought of pairing it with the uggs! Great idea

3:54 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

OMG! That hat would be perfect for my soon-to-be grandchild, who will be mostly Norwegian. So cute!

4:14 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, this Mn. Vikings fan is making that FOR HERSELF!!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Those are so cute. The braids are a brilliant touch!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

OMG the cute! How have I not knit this hat for my bebeh yet? I'm feeling a Halloween costume in the works.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Squee, indeed! That's an adorable set. The braids are awesome.

5:45 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that baby gift is made of awesome. great job!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

So adorable!! I love how you made the suede booties in the same colour to match. What a fantastic, hilarious, and darling little set!!

7:28 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I'm totally making a hat like that for myself. Or for the blub. I think he'd look cute in braids, don't you?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Great execution on your part. You intrigue me to try out the hat, I have a niece whose daddy would love it!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that hat. Maybe I should make the boy version for my friend's baby. Hmmmm....

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

So cute - I'm sure the Mom-to-be loved them!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home