Friday, March 12, 2010

Reversible Apron - In More Ways Than One

Don't look like much just hanging there, does it?
Reversible Apron1

But look how cute on!
Reversible Apron2
I LOVE LOVE LOVE how well this apron turned out! This was my first experience working with a paper pattern, and the end result was better than I imagined. It took me two days to put it all together, but, dare I say it?, it was actually...fun!

It was also quite educational. First, I learned that if your fabric print is directional, it's best to make sure it's say, facing the right direction BEFORE you cut it out. Not, say...
Reversible Apron4
...upside down. D'oh! Luckily, I noticed and corrected this before I cut the other side.

Second, the same holds true when you're sewing the pieces together.
Reversible Apron5
Nice job sewing in that strap upside down, dumbass. Guess I went a little too far with the whole reversible theme. :P

There were a couple of minor issues with the pattern (the Reversible Apron from Simple Sewing) as well. For one, the paper pieces didn't quite match up, so a little fudging and trimming was in order. (Experienced sewers, is that common?) Also, the pleats were a bit of a head-scratcher. The diagram didn't gell with the written instructions, and I couldn't figure out how to line up the three notches into two pleats. They didn't sew in very well, so I ended up having to iron them in afterwards. As you can see in the pic above, they're already starting to flatten out. Next time I make this, I'm going to ignore the notches and form the pleats by common sense instead.

Final pattern note - instead of slip-stitching the 6" bottom opening (because my hand-sewing skills really suck), I seamed it using a little fusible web, a tip I saw on some "Sewing with Nancy" special a while back. Worked perfectly!
Reversible Apron3
I'm so happy with how this turned out, especially since it's my first non-accessory project! The fit is fully adjustable with ties at the back and neck, the cut is very flattering, and it's quite comfy. I keep it hanging on a cabinet knob in my kitchen and wear it all the time when I'm making dinner!

Now, there's only one question left - if I smack Hubster on the head with a frying pan when he's snoring, will that make him stop?
Reversible Apron6

12 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

The apron is so cute! Nice job. But the frying pan? No--after the knot on their head goes away, they just start right back up with the snoring.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

That is so, so cute!

I just sewed my first project yesterday--a long skirt for summer. I had a few issues with it as well. I can't advise you, obviously. But today I raced to JoAnn and bought fabric for another skirt and a summer dress, so I guess I must have enjoyed sewing, too. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

only one way to find out: try it and see.

cute apron! i'm not much of an apron gal myself. but some patterns are adorable--i'll give you that.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

That is ADORABLE! I think I might have that book. If not, I need to get it, if only for that pattern!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love it!! Yeah..I've learned the hard way many times on directional prints LOL!

As for the pattern stuff. Sometimes they make it harder than it needs to be (ie: pleats, you can make them how fat/skinny and direction you want them) As for the other stuff, sometimes they expect you to already know stuff, I stay as far away from Butterick patterns, even sewing as many years as I have.

Sew, what's next ;)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh and wouldn't it be great if that was all it took for the snoring huh! ;)

8:19 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

No, hitting snoring husbands with frying pans doesn't work. They just snort and roll over. But if you have a cast iron skillet, you might get an upper arm workout out of it.

Very cute apron. Do you actually really wear it while cooking? Or just when you want to look cute?

5:51 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Very cute apron! I like the pattern. I feel an apron coming up in my future--but nothing this nice. My aprons get funky!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

It's great. The bright side of the upside-down fabric is that now you can look down and read it (how's that for optimism?). Congrats on more sewing success!

By the way, I totally hear you on the snoring.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very cute - I am completely impressed by other people's sewing skills!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

If the frying pan trick works, can you come try it out on my husband? He's all congested now so he's not only snoring, he's breathing really loudly. Makes it very hard to sleep.

Adorable apron! You know, making the print upside down just means that it'll look right side up when you look down at it!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Very nice! If you get stains on one side, you can just wear the other and look just as pretty. Genius.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home