Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Renaissance Cushion

Up 'til now, I was using a tiny plastic square box to hold my pins and um...the floor to catch threads.

Dude, this is so much better.
Pincushion1
It's a pincushion/organizer/threadcatcher, all in one! The pattern is free from
Sew, Mama, Sew! and it is totally awesome. Very clear, easy-to-follow instructions, with pics every step of the way.

The pincushion is weighted down (the pattern said to use rice, I filled mine with some sort of buckwheat combo that was formerly in a heated neck wrap thing) so it will sit on your sewing table. Genius!

Pincushion5
Likey my drinkey? This fabric used to be a pair of pajama pants!

The organizer holds whatever small tools you use most - for me, a seamripper :P, a disappearing ink pen, and behind the scrap bag, a measuring tape and point turner (aka old size 5 dpn).
Pincushion3
Ah, Paris.


For the threadcatcher/scrap bag (why do I automatically think of that episode of "Friends", where Phoebe's husband Mike threatens to change his name to "Crap Bag"?), which can be detached to stand alone, the bottom and top were cut and sewn separately then seamed together.

Pincushion4
This is one section that I might do differently next time - first, only the top of the bag has interfacing (I used lightweight stabilizer instead of fusible). I would reinforce the entire bag, as it tends to get a little floppy. Second, since I used a single fabric for the entire bag, it might have been easier to make it all from a one piece, rather than cutting and sewing on the top separately.

A few other mods: I didn't use quite as many different fabrics as the pattern calls for, going with one for each component instead. I also skipped the interfacing on the button loop, as that made it a little too bulky, and ditched the wool felt for the straight needles, since I suck at hand sewing don't use them very often.

Overall, it was a pretty easy project! The only dicey parts were sewing the triangle at the bottom of the button loop (even without the interfacing it was still bulky as all hell) and hand-sewing the bottom opening after stuffing the pincushion. It's a good thing no one can see it!
Pincushion2
It's SO handy having this by your side when you're sewing! It's also nice not to step on those random pins that kept falling and getting lost on the floor before (I've uttered one too many an, "OW! What the...dahhhmit."). And when the machine starts to frustrate me, it's a good reminder to turn it off, get a drink and fuhgeddaboutit!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Kate said...

Wow...looks great! Thanks for posting this, I'm bookmarking it for when I get my sewing machine out of storage.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

That's adorable! I have a pincushion that CBear made for me ages ago, but I love the other components added to it. Might have to make myself one of those!

6:35 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I so could have used that thread catcher as I was weaving in the ends on my smooshy cardi! How handy!

7:08 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Very pretty fabrics!

7:38 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Super cute!! If only I could fall in love with my sewing machine I could make cute things like this!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What adorable fabric!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Too cool!! I love the drink fabric especially! Very handy so your loved ones don't um..er.. sit on them...hubby was always good at finding them ;) Yeah, now I'm put in the back room...

9:45 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Nice!!! Now where can I get this thing they call a sewing table? ;-)

3:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This is GENIOUS! And supercute, too -- love the fabrics, especially the martini glasses. I wouldn't use the pincushion really, but the rest of the assembly would be really good to have next to me while I'm spinning. The scrap bag alone would be great for tossing neps and VM into so I don't have to try to get it to sit on top of the radiator that's next to my spinning chair.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

That is so cool! I just started sewing (like, last week), and I've already figured out I need a better place for my pins and thread scraps. I've been using the floor, too, and...well...

Not sure if I'm ready to tackle that, but I'll definitely bookmark it!

7:23 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that is awesome! i love the martini fabric.

look at you--miss sewist extraordinaire. wasn't it just yesterday that you claimed to dislike sewing?

7:31 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

I've been thinking of making something like this. Yours is adorable. I especially like the martini fabric.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Very cool!

--Princess Consuela Bannanahammock

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very cute!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

That is so super cute!!!

I've fallen down a bit of a sewing rabbit hole but haven't thought to blog about it... hmmmmmmmm

also I totally use a shopping bag hung from a drawer to catch all of my trash. this would be way funner.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home