Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Snuggly Little Uggs

Baby stuff, squeee!
Baby Uggs1
*sigh* I just love knitting baby stuff. So cute! So little! And of course - so fast! ;)

One of my friends just had the most adorable baby girl this summer. Well, last month, when she mentioned she wanted to get herself a pair of Uggs, this pattern popped right into my head. Had to make 'em!

Baby Uggs2
I have knitted this pattern before, but it was a few years ago, back during my supernewbie phase. The first time around, I knitted them flat, as written. The resulting seams were...um...let's just say, not pretty. The second time, I knitted them in the round, but all in stockinette, as I hadn't received the enlightenment of Judy's Magic Cast-on.


This time around, I made the whole thing seamless, complete with garter soles. I simply used the aforementioned Judy's Magic Cast-on, purled the first row, then followed the pattern from there, switching up to Magic Loop when it reached the bootie part.

Baby Uggs3
Tada, no seams whatsoever! SO much better this way. I also used the wrap-and-turn method for the short rows (as opposed to just turning), and slipped the first stitch of those short rows knit-wise to tighten them up a bit.


Yarn thoughts
Another great thing about baby stuff - it's great for stashbusting! These took up some overs of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, Berocco Pure Merino, and Plymouth Heaven - all warm yet machine washable, so easy care for mom and dad.

Oh, and yeah, stiiiiill don't like knitting with novelty yarn. Such a PITA! Luckily, you only have to endure it for a couple of rows, and it's totally worth it, 'cause these are just the coolest baby booties on the block!


Wrap it up

Kyooooot! The recipient finds them quite warm and cozy, too, I'm told. I mean, she can't talk yet, but you know, you can see it in her eyes. ;)

Baby Uggs4
Baby Uggs

Pattern: Suede Booties from DIY Network (sorry, it's no longer available online)

Yarn: Overs of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Chino, Berroco Pure Merino in Brown, and Plymouth Heaven in White

Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel Interchangeables in size 4 and 5

Mods: Used Judy's Magic Cast-on and Magic Loop to knit them seamlessly and in the round, used wrap and turn method for short rows, slipping the first stitch knit-wise to make them a bit tighter

14 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Uggs are up there with Crocs in my book--hideous on adults but darling on kids/babies. I love these!

5:01 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Pattern not available?!?!? Dang! These are just adorable. I have a pair of Uggs and loath them, but I'd love to make a few pairs of these. Too cute!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those are totally awesome and cute! Yay for knitting them ITR too, no seams! Lucky baby!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Monique said...

Very cute!

7:39 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

So Cute!

7:39 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Super cute!! I still have the yarn for these (I made them too a few years ago, but remember them being fiddly....love your mods!!). Love those!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Okay, yours definitely turned out better than mine. Weez's leftovers clearly are superior to mine!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

cutest booties ever!!!

6:52 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

aww, so cute.

7:23 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Aaaaaag! My ovaries!

*squlesh*

Great, you've made them pop out now. They take forever to get back in. Thanks.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous kkny12 said...

http://web.archive.org/web/20050612081043/http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3148516,00.html

i found the pattern thru Ravely which guided me to an archive of this. Hope this helps :-)

ADORABLE booties btw-im going to try them out

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Those are just so adorable - I wish I had a baby to knit them for!

4:03 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

So cute. Squee indeed! I think the little tufts of white are the best part.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Those are adorable!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home