Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Meeeerrrry Chocolate! Er, Christmas!

Nothin' says Christmas like a heart attack waiting to happen!
Saltine Toffee Cookies
Saltine Toffee Cookies - just butter, sugar, saltines, chocolate, and nuts, and OMGSOGOOD. Super easy and cheap, too! Just how I like my men. Cookies! I mean cookies!

You know how I've never been much of a sugar person? Yeah, that phase of my life is apparently over.

I've always loved to cook, but have never really been a baker. Most likely due to the lack-o-sweet tooth described above. And the horrible batch of microwave brownies I made in the 6th grade that my brothers *still* won't let me live down. Plus, I also like to cook by instinct, without really measuring. You can do that to a certain degree with baking, but there's a much higher probability of FUBAR.

Well, over the past month, I've discovered an inexplicable desire to bake. Not sure where it came from, but turns out it's fun! (Not that I'll be turning into a Cookie Czar anytime soon! ;) More like a Cookie Court Jester. I'll serve in Bezzie's court. :D)

The problem is, you kind of have to sample the results. You know, for quality control and stuff. And that has awakened what has, until now, been a lifetime-dormant sweet tooth. (Except for pie, breakfast, and ice cream. Those have always been the exceptions.)

Given the choice, of course, I'd much rather snarf down a bowl of popcorn. Or a bag of Seasoned Pretzels from Eastshore Specialty Foods, which came in Hubster's annual gift basket from Vendor-I-Can't-Remember and is already 2/3 gone. But from now on, if you show me a cookie, I'll show you some crumbs on my mouth! ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to head out on a pre-emptive 3.5-mile powerwalk, since I've already quality-controlled two of those Saltine Toffee Cookies (before they were cooled, no less) and they're going to be in the house until tomorrow morning, when I make Hubster take most of them to his office to keep me from morphing into Santa's Asian twin sister.

May you all have a wonderful, very Merry Christmas, if you celebrate it, and if not, a very happy day off! :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Oh...I made a batch of these last week! Gave most of them away, but promptly bought supplies for more..ahhh soooooo good and bad ;)

Merry Christmas!

7:33 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those look delicious!!! Happy Christmas!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hahahaha! Cookie Jester! I love it!

Those are soooo damn good! One blogger I read calls them "Christmas Crack."

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Those look so good - I have a huge sweet tooth and the easiest way to manage it is to make them, eat a couple - and then get them out of the house!

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

The Saltine candies look amazing! I'm going to try NOT to look for the recipe as I have no self-control and because of ice storms here, I won't be power-walking any time soon!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

That looks awesome. I'm not a huge sweet-eater, but there is a chocolate bar that I love, and the main reason is it's a little spicy and has a good amount of saltiness. I think that's the secret to enjoying sweets: balance of salt or heat.

Have a wonderful holiday!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

After stuffing myself silly last night, I thought I was beyond drooling. I'm not. That looks delicious.

Merry Christmas!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oooh, those look/sound delicious. Please do not give me the recipe. I've gotten too used to eating whatever I wanted using the excuse of pregnancy, but I really need to watch it now. Although my mouth is really watering ...

3:56 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Must. Make. Those. Oooo.

Hope you had a merry smas with lots of yarny things!

12:08 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I have that recipe as "Chocolate Caramel Crack(ers)" and my friend Lisa has it as "Passover Crunch" (made with matzos instead of saltines). Either way, it's addictive!

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home