Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Trick or Twofer Treat!

Hubster's cousins hosted us during the Half-Marathon weekend back in July, so I offered to knit them something as a thank-you gift. Nothing says "thank you" like Lorna's Laces and Koigu! ;) (Sorry, no modeled shots this time. I meant to, then forgot and washed them and am too lazy to model, photog, and wash 'em again. Plus, I need to get these mailed off as it's been over three months since I promised to knit these for them, sooooo, sucky pics it is!)
Koolhaas
Have any of you seen this hat before? Hmmm, it's a rather obscure one... HA! Right. I'm sure you recognize the ubiu ubiqoi popular Koolhaas pattern from the IK 2007 Holiday Gifts issue. I have to say, I can see why this pattern has become such a bandwagon. It's much easier to knit than it looks
(as long as you know how to cable without a cable needle, otherwise, it would drive you mad), really pops with those lattice cables, and is incredibly stretchy. It fit both Hubster and me!

Only made a couple of minor mods here: I a) lengthened the ribbing to create a fold-up brim, because me likey fold-up brims; b) knitted three repeats before the crown decreases (instead of five) as my row gauge was off; and c) ktbl'd the slipped stitch before moving the marker at end of Row 8 (instead of just slipping), to maintain the patterning. That was about it!


Hopefully J will like it! I thoroughly enjoyed knitting it, and the results turned out fab! In fact, this may become my go-to gift hat pattern.
Uh, if my brothers are reading this, I hope you like it 'cause there's a very good chance you'll both be getting one for Christmas.

Koolhaas

Pattern:
Interweave Knits, Holiday Gifts 2007
Yarn:
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, less than one skein in Pewter
Needle:
HiyaHiya Stainless Steel Interchangeables, size 8
Mods:
Fold-up brim, fewer repeats before crown, ktbl slipped stitch in Row 8

And for M, my Mitt Envys!
MItt Envy 3
Is it wrong to love your own pattern? Ah, screw it if it is, 'cause I do! They knit up super quick, take very little yarn, have those kicky little cables, and look great in both solid and variegated colorways. I love this pattern so much, you'll be seeing a pair modified for sport weight later this week!


These should keep M's hands nice and toasty as she's sipping tea, overlooking her kickass San Fran view that I would hate her for if I didn't love her so much.

Mitt Envy IV

Pattern:
Mine :)
Yarn:
Koigu Premium Merino, less than one skein in 2405
Needle:
HiyaHiya Stainless Steel, size 1, 32"

12 Comments:

Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Of course there is nothing wrong with loving your own pattern! They are very adorable, and I would love to make them. But I'm a chart girl. If you know of anyone who's worked out a chart, do let us know!

4:24 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Caffeine Girl - the sport weight version will have a chart for the cable section, which is the same cable as the lighter weight version. :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Love the hat and the mitts!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lucky recipients! LL worsted is great for hats...although I wouldn't know that as I've always gifted them ;) It is nice to knit with..and I do have more in hiding here..hmmm I do need a new pair of mitts too..double hmmm

8:13 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Lorna's Laces in Pewter... I wonder where you found that! ;)

They both look awesome!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Betcha now he's gonna want some manly mitts and she's gonna want a Koolhaas....;-)

3:13 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I'm making koolhaas for the first time too. Loving it, except one of the cables which I 'just' can't do without the needle because my yarn isn't stretchy enough! And yes, it's driving me nuts. Love the mitts too :0)

4:22 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Lucky people to be getting these beautiful handknits! I love how they'll be all color coordinated, too.

4:28 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! i keep meaning to knit koolhaas but i have eleventy billion hats already and i'm pretty sure i've given everyone i know at least one hat for various holidays. maybe someday.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Love the hat and mitts, they came out great!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

I've had your mitts in my queue for a long time - it really is time to knit them - they are so cute!

Love the hat too - now I want to knit one!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Your Koolhaas looks great! Somehow, I've avoided knitting that one so far, but I'm sure I'll make one eventually. I haven't tried your Mitt Envy pattern yet, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with loving your pattern. They look great. Cozy.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home